How important will clinical volunteering be to MD/PhD applications (in light of COVID-19)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boringknot

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Canadian senior who is looking to apply to American MD/PhD schools in the future (after an RA gap year or Masters). I believe at that time my app will be competitive (3.9X, 100th percentile MCAT, solid research experience, at least one pub, non-clinical volunteering, employment, etc.), however, the clinical side of my application is lacking. Right now:

Clinical volunteering: 20 hours (started Winter 2020, obviously postponed indefinitely in March)
Shadowing: None (basically illegal in Canada unless you have an MD family-friend, although I think most ADCOMS know this?)

I can't see the situation improving in my city this year to the point where they will allow clinical volunteering again. Even if they did, spots would be limited. How critical is clinical experience to an MD/PhD application? Will this change with COVID-19?

Thank you!

P.S. I do believe the rest of my app will help showcase why MD/PhD as opposed to just PhD

Members don't see this ad.

Not a director or MD/PhD student, but I'm in a similar situation and here's what I've been doing to help show some clinical interests:

Some medical schools are offering virtual rounds. It's nice to attend these and email the docs because it gives you something to learn. Bonus points if you can talk about what you learned and why it's important in your app.

There are a TON of volunteer efforts designed to make more PPE. Masks, face shields, gloves, etc... There are also a lot of fundraisers/services designed to help those disproportionately impacted by the pandemic or for the unemployed. While not exactly "clinical volunteering", participating in these activities lets directors know that you're trying to be proactive about this situation.

Lastly, I think the rest of your app is really freaking good.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I can be of much help here. I've never been involved with admissions of internationals and the ones I've known have done undergrad or spent time in the US. Whether this specific issue will hurt you I'm not sure and is institution specific.

I only had 2-3 hours of shadowing and everything else you have is better than what I had. You’ll be fine

• Love
The question on clinical hours aims to examine whether you understand what physicians do. For MD/PhD applicants, in general, we believe that doing 100 hours of physician shadowing is more than enough to show that you have had sufficient experience. Now, this cycle, many people are unable to get the clinical experiences.... Have you consider volunteering to help as a COVID-19 contact tracer, for example? Actually, that is a great clinical experience as you obtain a little bit of a clinical history during each phone call... Bottomline, the get thru your application examining whether you understand what physicians do....

Not a director or MD/PhD student, but I'm in a similar situation and here's what I've been doing to help show some clinical interests:

Some medical schools are offering virtual rounds. It's nice to attend these and email the docs because it gives you something to learn. Bonus points if you can talk about what you learned and why it's important in your app.

There are a TON of volunteer efforts designed to make more PPE. Masks, face shields, gloves, etc... There are also a lot of fundraisers/services designed to help those disproportionately impacted by the pandemic or for the unemployed. While not exactly "clinical volunteering", participating in these activities lets directors know that you're trying to be proactive about this situation.

Thank you! I had no idea virtual rounds were a thing. Those are all great suggestions to be proactive about the situation.

The question on clinical hours aims to examine whether you understand what physicians do. For MD/PhD applicants, in general, we believe that doing 100 hours of physician shadowing is more than enough to show that you have had sufficient experience. Now, this cycle, many people are unable to get the clinical experiences.... Have you consider volunteering to help as a COVID-19 contact tracer, for example? Actually, that is a great clinical experience as you obtain a little bit of a clinical history during each phone call... Bottomline, the get thru your application examining whether you understand what physicians do....

Thanks for the suggestion! Yes certainly, I will try my best to show through the rest of my application that I understand the physician experience.

I know this thread is a bit dated, but would you mind sending over those virtual round resources? That would be so enjoyable in my evenings and sincerely appreciate the help!

Here's something that University of Colorado's program is doing. I've heard it's good from a few friends with both free and $50 options, but it is not in real-time. This is a prerecorded set of videos.
Virtual Shadowing - University of Colorado Section of Wilderness & Environmental Medicine
I'm personally an NIH Postbac and my institute has been doing virtual rounds in the morning. It's pretty limited in terms of patient interaction, but if you can email the doctors, it helps you learn a ton. If possible ask them some simple questions like "why do you enjoy your job". It can be quite inspiring.