sv3

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
I'm about to take some AAMCs and although I'm comfortable with math, sometimes when doing TPR practice problems I am amazed at how long some calculations can get. Considering the time constraints on the MCAT, should i expect calcs to be shorter?

So for example, if I had to come up with multiple equations to solve for three unknowns, is that a typical occurance? It's not that its hard, but I'm pretty worried about time constraints given what I've heard. I'm still guessing knowing what to do takes longer than doing it.....

Also, knowing this, lets me kind of know if i'm on the wrong path to solving a questions (i.e it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes tops kind of thing)

thanks

steve

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm about to take some AAMCs and although I'm comfortable with math, sometimes when doing TPR practice problems I am amazed at how long some calculations can get. Considering the time constraints on the MCAT, should i expect calcs to be shorter?

So for example, if I had to come up with multiple equations to solve for three unknowns, is that a typical occurance? It's not that its hard, but I'm pretty worried about time constraints given what I've heard. I'm still guessing knowing what to do takes longer than doing it.....

Also, knowing this, lets me kind of know if i'm on the wrong path to solving a questions (i.e it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes tops kind of thing)

thanks

steve
Are you talking about stuff like doing ICE charts? I find that I need to have a refresher course in logarithms.

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I have done TPR practice problems. The calcs are MUCH shorter in my opinion than TPR. TPR goes a little math heavy sometimes.

Hope this helped,

-LIS

OP
S

sv3

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
I have done TPR practice problems. The calcs are MUCH shorter in my opinion than TPR. TPR goes a little math heavy sometimes.

Hope this helped,

-LIS
Oh yes it did. Thanks. Thats the one thing i do worry about with TPR.....heavy math and i wonder if it hurts the concepts. We'll see but good to know about the math thing. I figured it was a bit much for the MCAT but I from what i've been hearing lately on these forums i wouldn't be surprised to see "What's the cure to cancer?"

thanks

OP
S

sv3

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
Are you talking about stuff like doing ICE charts? I find that I need to have a refresher course in logarithms.
Nah the ICE charts are not bad. Primarily with physics is what i meant. I don't think the chem was that bad but jeez.....some physics questions have so many steps so i was a little worried about timing.

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I wouldn't worry about it too much. A lot of people have done TPR and have said that they are great at teaching you to look for proportionality relationships. TPR is an AMAZING book for physics so stick with it.

Hope this helped,

-LIS

jaxasp

I'm not an ambi-turner
Jun 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
make sure you mental math is not rusty
you are going to have to estimate square roots and logs to a fair degree, i.e.:
(1)
[H+] = 7*10^-5
2 options for pH might be 4.3,4.7

(2)
solubility, 4x^2 = 9*10^-8
2 options might be 1.5*10^-4, 2.5*10^-4

i severely doubt you will see a 3 unknown 3 equation prob tho

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
After doing BR, logs are VERY easy. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

-LIS

OP
S

sv3

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
make sure you mental math is not rusty
you are going to have to estimate square roots and logs to a fair degree, i.e.:
(1)
[H+] = 7*10^-5
2 options for pH might be 4.3,4.7

(2)
solubility, 4x^2 = 9*10^-8
2 options might be 1.5*10^-4, 2.5*10^-4

i severely doubt you will see a 3 unknown 3 equation prob tho
Those pH values are pretty close together. Is this where knowing log 3 = .5 is supposed to help? (i woulda chose 4.3)

OP
S

sv3

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2009
Status
I wouldn't worry about it too much. A lot of people have done TPR and have said that they are great at teaching you to look for proportionality relationships. TPR is an AMAZING book for physics so stick with it.

Hope this helped,

-LIS
Yup i finished the science workbook for physics. I have the 2007 version and they don't mark which ones are hard in that edition so i guess i must be talking about some of those. Now i gotto review as its been a month......amazing how much you forget. I got the need for speed!

thanks!