WanderingGuitarist

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2015
I am using the kaplan books and when i watch the khan academy video for a specific biology topic, they provide a lot more details.
Do i need to know all the extra details or stick to kaplan's material?
Would using kaplan for a basis and then adding extra info from khan academy a good idea for studying?

Jun 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
The MCAT confers no rewards for memorizing nitty, gritty details. Flashcards aren't particularly useful except for things like hormones, which you definitely need to know details about. Other than that, just memorize formulas and do practice passages. You'll consolidate most of your knowledge from just working passages. Trust me, spending a lot of time on content review alone is a waste of time. Doing practice passages will actually prepare you for the MCAT and make you think in the way you need to think.

OP
W

WanderingGuitarist

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2015
but i should still read through all of the kaplan books correct? i am not familiar with all of the material and have forgotten a lot of it

Jun 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Yeah, read through them. Just don't obsess over taking super detailed notes in the margins or anything. That was a major time-waster for me, so I speak from experience. The thing is, you need the big concepts. The new MCAT seems especially geared towards just knowing big concepts in order to apply them to novel scenarios and interpret experimental methods and data. You'll get calculation questions still, so just understand how to do stoichiometry problems, electrochem problems, acid-base, etc. Know facts like prostaglandins regulate inflammatory reactions in the body, but just knowing that should be enough. Kaplan goes into too much detail when they talk about these molecules, I think. As long as you know the big picture concepts and can know a few things about smaller concepts (though not in great detail), then you can easily work through a passage (which provide most information anyway).