1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How influential are letters of recommendation from people in high places?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by surgeon, Apr 10, 2004.

1. surgeon

surgeon Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wanted to know if anybody knocked down a dental school door? :laugh:

2. Balki

Balki The Perfect Stranger
    7+ Year Member

It all depends if the person knows you well or not. Can she/he provide an insight into your personatily, working skills, academic qualities, work habbits etc?
    If no then it won't be effective at all. I'd rather ask someone who can tell something of a substance about me, and not be a "BIG" name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    agree with balki. if the person is a BIG name person and knows you, then it will probably be very good.
    my personal exp, i got a LOR from the dean of my school. he knew me as much as my profs did since he himself was one of my former professors as wells as shop at a men's clothing store where i used to work. so, he knoew me from school as well as outside and hence wrote a good letter about me (well, so i think at least).

also one other thing. at UCONN, i was told that the they look at the LOR's and your sci score very highly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

I think that it depends on the school. If it's private, a letter of rec from a very influential person such as a board member then it could possibly help. If it's public then that changes things.The school's admissions board is going to be less likely to care if they piss off someone high up because the funding is still going to be there. Private schools rely much more heavily on alumni donations so they will be more apt to scratch the back of a heavy contributor. Still, the best way to get in is to do it on your own merit.

5. surgeon

surgeon Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    But even if this person does write a letter with such specifications does it mean that you will be taken in serious considerationo because of this persons big name or will they just turn their head and say I dont care who he knows? :confused:

6. surgeon

surgeon Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I plan on going to a private school but, i'm scared to use this persons rec because of their big name. I dont want to piss them off :confused:

7. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

Piss who off? Use it, it could make a huge difference. If you get to go to dental school that's all that matters.

8. surgeon

surgeon Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

9. surgeon

surgeon Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

10. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

No offence dude, if you can get a BIG name to support ya, chances are you have a better chance to get in as long as they can provide you with a solid reference. The most important is the quality of the reference but the second most important is who.