• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

    Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

    JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

    Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

    LEARN MORE

How influential are letters of recommendation from people in high places?

Balki

The Perfect Stranger
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2003
258
0
0
NYC
surgeon said:
I wanted to know if anybody knocked down a dental school door? :laugh:
It all depends if the person knows you well or not. Can she/he provide an insight into your personatily, working skills, academic qualities, work habbits etc?
If no then it won't be effective at all. I'd rather ask someone who can tell something of a substance about me, and not be a "BIG" name.
 

PERFECT3435

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
1,416
0
0
45
Indianapolis
  1. Dentist
agree with balki. if the person is a BIG name person and knows you, then it will probably be very good.
my personal exp, i got a LOR from the dean of my school. he knew me as much as my profs did since he himself was one of my former professors as wells as shop at a men's clothing store where i used to work. so, he knoew me from school as well as outside and hence wrote a good letter about me (well, so i think at least).


also one other thing. at UCONN, i was told that the they look at the LOR's and your sci score very highly.
 
About the Ads

Calculus1

G.V. Black Fan
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
301
0
151
Dallas, TX
surgeon said:
I wanted to know if anybody knocked down a dental school door? :laugh:
I think that it depends on the school. If it's private, a letter of rec from a very influential person such as a board member then it could possibly help. If it's public then that changes things.The school's admissions board is going to be less likely to care if they piss off someone high up because the funding is still going to be there. Private schools rely much more heavily on alumni donations so they will be more apt to scratch the back of a heavy contributor. Still, the best way to get in is to do it on your own merit.
 

surgeon

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
73
0
0
NY
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Balki said:
It all depends if the person knows you well or not. Can she/he provide an insight into your personatily, working skills, academic qualities, work habbits etc?
If no then it won't be effective at all. I'd rather ask someone who can tell something of a substance about me, and not be a "BIG" name.

But even if this person does write a letter with such specifications does it mean that you will be taken in serious considerationo because of this persons big name or will they just turn their head and say I dont care who he knows? :confused:
 

surgeon

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
73
0
0
NY
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Calculus1 said:
I think that it depends on the school. If it's private, a letter of rec from a very influential person such as a board member then it could possibly help. If it's public then that changes things.The school's admissions board is going to be less likely to care if they piss off someone high up because the funding is still going to be there. Private schools rely much more heavily on alumni donations so they will be more apt to scratch the back of a heavy contributor. Still, the best way to get in is to do it on your own merit.

I plan on going to a private school but, i'm scared to use this persons rec because of their big name. I dont want to piss them off :confused:
 

surgeon

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
73
0
0
NY
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Calculus1 said:
Piss who off? Use it, it could make a huge difference. If you get to go to dental school that's all that matters.[/QUOTE

Who I meant by pissing of was the admissions committe because they could think i'm trying to influence them you know how people can be just to spite a person
 

surgeon

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
73
0
0
NY
  1. Resident [Any Field]
surgeon said:
Calculus1 said:
Piss who off? Use it, it could make a huge difference. If you get to go to dental school that's all that matters.[/QUOTE

Who I meant by pissing of was the admissions committe because they could think i'm trying to influence them you know how people can be just to spite a person

But you are right the admissions letter is all that counts
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.