ErinG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
Hello all,

I am a MS1, and am wondering to what extent I need to get involved in school actvities (clubs, organizations and the like), if I want to go into EM. From your experience, do EM residencies look at how "well rounded" a student is, like med school acoms did? I've heard advice from both sides of the fence on this one; some ppl say that you should get involved only to the extent that you join clubs you like/are interested in, and other ppl say that you must be super involved and pad your cv like you did to get into med school--any body have the real deal?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do to occupy my time this summer (between MS1 and 2)? Should I volunteer in an ED (because I would certainly be interested in it)? Any other suggestions? I don't really want to just sit around...

Thank you!

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
ErinG said:
. From your experience, do EM residencies look at how "well rounded" a student is, like med school acoms did? I've heard advice from both sides of the fence on this one; some ppl say that you should get involved only to the extent that you join clubs you like/are interested in, and other ppl say that you must be super involved and pad your cv like you did to get into med school--any body have the real deal?
EC's will help, but in most cases Step 1, your clinical grades, and LORs will determine how competitive of an applicant you are. Get involved in the things that interest you. Definitely join the national EM associations and your school's EMIG to start getting more familiar with the specialty. I really don't think you need to pad your CV, but if you absolutely insist on CV padding then throw away your last free summer doing some EM related research just so you have some research under your belt when you apply to residencies.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
Wisconsin
Visit site
Status
ErinG said:
Hello all,

I am a MS1, and am wondering to what extent I need to get involved in school actvities (clubs, organizations and the like), if I want to go into EM. From your experience, do EM residencies look at how "well rounded" a student is, like med school acoms did? I've heard advice from both sides of the fence on this one; some ppl say that you should get involved only to the extent that you join clubs you like/are interested in, and other ppl say that you must be super involved and pad your cv like you did to get into med school--any body have the real deal?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do to occupy my time this summer (between MS1 and 2)? Should I volunteer in an ED (because I would certainly be interested in it)? Any other suggestions? I don't really want to just sit around...

Thank you!
I definately would not do any CV padding unless its what you are interested in. Ok ok, so the only reason I joined the "OB-GYN interest group" was for the girls and for the free pizza, but that's another story.

Definately join the EM interest group at your medical school. Get involved with them.... At this point its still pretty early in the game for you so my best advice would be to keep an open mind, do well in class, and do well on Step I.

I also would take off the summer and just enjoy yourself, because it will be the second to last "summer vacation" of your life (you have M1-M2 summer, and then graduation summer).

Good luck!

Q

DHMO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2004
Status
I agree with the above in that you shouldn't do stuff just to put it on your CV. Also, I wouldn't volunteer in an ED, leave that to the premeds--you will do rotations in EM during med school, which will give you better clinical experience than volunteering. As others said, show interest by getting involved with your school's EMIG. If you are worried about getting bored during the summer, do some research, in EM or any other field. While EM is competitive, it's not ultra competitive like Ortho or Ophtho, so while research in the field is a plus, it's not a necessity. Research in any field should strengthen your application.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
ErinG said:
Hello all,

Thank you!

shadow some EM physicians, preferably at the residency program you are most highly interested in