How is Biochem worked into Cell Bio curriculum in first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a question about the amount of Biochem covered during Cell Biology/Biochemistry during the first year...

Everyone is saying that it is really specific to disease processes, etc....great, I get that.

So is it more like a quick review of Biochem in general (because they assume that some people haven't had it) then straight into how Biochem applies to disease processes, etc.? Am I on the right track? Is Biochem kind of "mixed in" with the cell bio stuff (like used for detail of cell bio processes when appropriate?)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

My school hasn't gone to block schedules yet so biochemisty and cell bio are separate classes for us. Cell bio is first semester of first year and biochemisty is almost a full year course.

In cell bio they talked about protein trafficking, some genetics, cell signalling, cell growth and development (overlapped with embryo quite a bit here), cell movement, and action potential stuff. Honestly, there was hardly any biochemistry in our cell bio course. The only example I can think of that we talked about in both courses was with G-proteins and glycogen.

First semester biochemistry we do the basics - great for me because I had never taken biochem. Next semester we will start learning how things go wrong. ;)

in my school, they are two separate classes. biochem is first quarter first year and cell bio is second quarter first year. biochem was mainly the college type tho ie focus on the concepts and then only applied to a few diseases. physiology and anatomy are where we get the major disease applications. but our cell bio is correlated heavily with clinical diseases or so i hear as i wont take it til january. wait, do most schools combine them?