How is everybody feeling about the AAMC tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the fellow non-trads are thinking. I am having a hard time w/ biological sciences. So far, I did #3, 4, 5 and 6.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering what the fellow non-trads are thinking. I am having a hard time w/ biological sciences. So far, I did #3, 4, 5 and 6.

As a non-trad I had a really tough time on the verbal section and I also thought that 3-6 weren't really indicative of the level of difficulty of the real exam. Sorry that I'm telling you that just as you finished but it was good practice for other things like pacing yourself and some of the kinds of questions but go with the newer ones since they are more ilke the actual exam.

The bio, i thought was on point with the difficulty with a the test. The PS is a little bit easier on the aamc, but not by much. The VR is the wildcard, it is the same difficulty on the test, but a lot of people are more nervous on test day, and the VR section is the easiest to bomb if you are nervous, since you have the least time and its hard to make up a few minutes that you wasted being nervous. You can finish the BS and PS with 20 minutes to spare, but it really hard to do that in the VR. I would make sure when you attack the vr, use that 10 minute break to regain focus and concentration, so you don't waste time when the section starts. That is just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment on how much they resemble the real MCAT, because I haven't taken in yet, but they have definetly helped me to target my studying. I starting taking practice exams 3 months out and I will take the June 13th test. The tests are supposed to be compiled of retired MCAT questions, so they should be a pretty good indicator of how you are doing.

My scores have been as follows:
Exam3: 24
Exam4: 29
Exam5: 27
Exam6: 29
Exam7: 30
Exam8: 31
Exam9: 32

With the exception of exam #4, I have had a nice steady increase in my score as I have studied. And for the record, when I finished exam four I was very happy to get a high score so early in the study period, but at the same time, I knew it was a total fluke. In contrast, I'm feeling pretty good about that 32 I got this past weekend. It was earned. I'm aiming for a 33 or 34 on the real test. I don't know if I will get there, but I'm confident I can at least get a 30.

My advice is to use the exams to get a feel for your best test taking stratagy and to use the detailed analysis at the end of each exam to show you what subjects to hit hard in the coming week.

I only started taking practise tests two weeks ago.
AAMC 3 ; 30
aamc 4; 26

I don't know what that means but i'll keep trying. I have purchased #6 and #10. I hope those are of appropriate difficulty.
MCAT Date: July 18th

two words.. exam krackers (or is that one word?). Bio section prep has helped me alot, it's 175 pages and is pretty manageable, although thick with detail. Bio was my weak point last year, have taken 3 AAMC tests this time around at a 10/9/10 bio section score with 4 weeks & 8 full length tests to go.

I look at it like one or two previous posters did, the point of these tests is to get timing down, get a feel for the material, and gauge what you need to learn. Keep taking those full length tests!