SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How is everyone paying for the excessive application fees?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by HoboCommander, Jun 18, 2008.

1. HoboCommander

HoboCommander 7+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2007
    How are you people planning to pay for application fees? I unfortunately don't have money to pay for application fees, and expensive as that is, application fees are pocket change compared to the cost of tuition.I only have enough to apply to a few schools.

Why oh why was I born so handsome but not rich? Unlike what they say, it's not true that to be handsome is to have a first-class ticket on the journey of life and I blame my parents for it. I will try to borrow money but it seems difficult since I don't have a job currently, I spend all my time volunteering at the clinic and pleasing everyone with my endowments. I want to apply very widely to maximize my chances of getting into med school. So what's a handsome guy like me supposed to do about the money situation?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lisasimpson87

lisasimpson87 5+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2008
    did you look into FAP?
  4. HoboCommander

Sep 30, 2007
    i don't think i am eligible because my family makes over the poverty line, but they want to buy a new car for themselves rather than help me pay for application fees. makes me wish i was born rich instead =/
  5. soparu

soparu 2+ Year Member

May 8, 2008
    handsome and well endowed?
    wow, rent "american gigalo" with richard gere.
  6. scowdeva

scowdeva MS I 2+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, do what most people do...put it on plastic. The cost of applications is the reason that I'm entering medical school with 3500 of consumer debt...but if I hadn't applied pretty broadly, I very well might not be worrying about starting med school with that much owed to American Express. Instead, I would be worrying about paying to reapply.
  7. HoboCommander

Sep 30, 2007
    yes, you'd be surprised.

and how is this relevant to paying for app fees?

how high is the interest rates? don't you have to pay back like a million dollars by the end of your residency?
  8. ChemGrad08

ChemGrad08 5+ Year Member

May 21, 2008
    If you're really spending all your time volunteering why don't you cut that in half and get a part time job? Then you can pay most of your fees, and continue to volunteer. Adcoms won't hold getting a pt job against you.
  9. HoboCommander

Sep 30, 2007
    I would but I have to turn in my AMCAS application soon, like two weeks from now. Any quicker way to raise $$$ ?

And thanks all you wonderful girls for replying to my thread. I appreciate it.
  10. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom Banned Physician 10+ Year Member

open up a credit card with one of those "6-12 months no internet no payments" offer and put it on that

that will at least buy you some time to make the money to pay them off, and you can have the application fees paid immediately

what is your amcas total?
  11. BoredMD

May 7, 2008
    San Fran, CA
    Damn, life just ain't fair sometimes. :p

Try tutoring. It pays well and it's pretty flexible so you can still do your volunteering.
  12. Margaux1985

Margaux1985 0k member 2+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2008
    The great plains of NYC

For a handsome, well-endowed guy like yourself, why don't you try dressing up as a police officer or a firefighter and showing up at bachelorette parties? You'd raise more than enough money for the application fee in two weeks time.
  13. BoredMD

May 7, 2008
    San Fran, CA
    :thumbup: Fast, easy money right there and he'd get to put his good looks to use.
  14. Dulcina

Dulcina =) 5+ Year Member

Aug 14, 2007
    this wont help if you dont already have a job, but I worked for the past 9 months, and saved some money to apply.

I've calculated my app fees, all classes and mcat and everything included... to about 10k. :scared::(
  15. MsKrispyKreme

MsKrispyKreme The "Hot" sign is on... 7+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2008
    1. Prostitution :thumbup: (takes one night)
    2. Student credit card :thumbup: (takes 5-7 business days)
  16. Mike7704

Mike7704 Undergrad 5+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Has anyone thought about taking out a loan? I saw a commercial for Astrive student loans and took out a small amount. They send a check directly to you and the money can be spent on anything school related which could probably include paying application fees. The interest rate isn't to high either.
  17. whoisthedrizzle

whoisthedrizzle 2+ Year Member

whoring myself out to 1000 fat chicks
  18. p30doc

p30doc Ever true and unwavering 10+ Year Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Borrowing money from the parents to be paid back asap.
  19. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me 7+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Tally/Willkillya County
    My cousin paid for his xbox 360, ps3, wii, american strat, taylor 310 acoustic, marshall amp, 32 inch lcd, ak47, about 40 games for said systems, and a bunch of other stuff by selling weed...

Of course, he did get busted and is on parole now but he had an extra 3,000 dollars before it was confiscated. His stuff purchased above wasn't taken though.

What kind of fees are you talking about? I took a bit of a loan out form my parents and used their credit card so they got some air miles out of it. I'm paying them back the no interest way. I mean, I put down over 1100 on apps, which is around the 30 school mark.
  20. Stick1360

Stick1360 2+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Landscaping...bust your balls out in the hot sun for a few hours away from anything medically related. Takes my mind off all the stress and worrying of this whole process.
  21. Margaux1985

Margaux1985 0k member 2+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2008
    The great plains of NYC

...Or selling his man juice to the nearest infertility clinic. They pay a premium for good looks and high MCAT/SAT scores (about $250 according to the ad in the back of our student newspaper).
  22. da me ka don

da me ka don Not in your P.I.'s lab! 10+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2007
    plastic, plastic and more plastic with previous plastics:(
  23. admitER

admitER 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2008
    I'm really really really lucky to be doing NCI research this summer that pays well enough to cover the app fees (with working at the hospital at the weekend to pay bills).

I'm definatley not rolling in the dough, but at least I'm not going further into debt...
  24. aunt ethel

aunt ethel M0 2+ Year Member

May 31, 2007
    Garage sale? Or Ebay?
  25. 172858

172858 America = The New Texas 2+ Year Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Pick the credit card with the highest limit, and max that guy out. I ended up almost maxing out an 8K Amex (Over 20 primaries, 20 secondaries, the expenses of 12 interviews). But when I think about the fact that I'll be spending 200K on medical school, the 6K from the app cycle looks like nothing more than a drop in the bucket.
  26. Cardiac

Cardiac Full of Love 2+ Year Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Fly to Indonesia and sell a kidney. I hear you get like 10K for that, and you have a cool scar that will add to your manly physique.
  27. 1956Goldtop

Jan 11, 2008
    I put mine on plastic.
  28. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2007
    An Igloo
    How is everyone paying for the excessive application fees?

By subsisting on Ramen.
  29. p30doc

p30doc Ever true and unwavering 10+ Year Member

Aug 22, 2007
    scrub in for the removal as well, count it as clinical experience on your app.
  30. Dulcina

Dulcina =) 5+ Year Member

Aug 14, 2007
    QFT. I ate pasta with soysauce tonight.
  31. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom Banned Physician 10+ Year Member

uhh bad idea

32. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist Physician 7+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Personally, my parents consider med school apps to be a quite worthy cause, and are generously paying for them for me. Pity not everyone has parents that can afford to do that though :(
  33. Narmerguy

Narmerguy Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Laughed for like 30 minutes. Just wanted to tell you thank you :D

I wonder if some of those fastweb scholarships cover stuff like this too? Then again, I highly doubt that would squeeze into your two week time frame.
  34. MILK07

MILK07 Silence, I kill you!! 7+ Year Member

May 13, 2008

Ummm.... WOW. That is a TON of money? What kind of classes did you take and how many schools are you applying to???
  35. dienekes88

dienekes88 10+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Credit card.

Then take out a larger student loan your first year to pay it off.

Usually, you have to be at least 5'9". *sigh* I'm 5'8".
  36. Dirt

Dirt 7+ Year Member

Jun 18, 2008
    From the earth.
    I seriously looked into, they pay damn good money except you can't drink, smoke, do drugs, have sex or masturbate (except of course in their office) for a year.
  37. Brown8472

Brown8472 7+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2008
    This is just for primaries. Wait until you start getting those secondaries. You will definitely hate the day you were born.
  38. seraph524

seraph524 M0 2+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Secondaries? Nah...wait till you are paying for plane tickets and hotel rooms.
  39. kami333

kami333 10+ Year Member

Aug 15, 2007
    I have a bunch of cc debt sitting at 0% for life of balance;)
  40. HoboCommander

Sep 30, 2007
    OK this crosses that option off the list.
  41. WinterLights

Sep 15, 2007
    I would have used FAP, but I happened to have leftover money from my student loans. I am just going to use that to pay for it.
  42. Davjc2009

Davjc2009 2+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Sell weed, blood, semen, and body (fat girls need love to... but they have to pay, another family guy quote added to the thread).
  43. ButImLETired

ButImLETired Prodigal member Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

May 27, 2008
    the hospital
    hSDN Member
    I made a deal with my mother: if she pays for my applications, I'll apply to any schools she's heard of and wants me to go to (even though I don't have a shot in hell...oh mothers), and I'll get those apps done first. Also, when I'm a doctor I'll get her a condo somewhere warm, and a BMW.
  44. LikeClockWork

LikeClockWork Guest

Jul 23, 2007
    Not a bad option, if you can find such a great rate.

You could always sell your plasma. If you're a good enough BS artist, you could spin it as a medically related EC. :thumbup:
  45. chemolupusMD

chemolupusMD 7+ Year Member

Feb 13, 2007
    i am already applying to some credit cards, i am also gonna get a loan in the fall to pay for traveling and other stuff. THANK GOD for the FAP
  46. Bahadur

Bahadur Cookies! nom nom nom 2+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2006

hmmm... you must be a CA resident i'm assuming?

That's what i spent on last cycle. Hopefully you'll have better luck =) :luck:
  47. foster033

foster033 7+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Columbus, OH

You can make some pretty good money selling plasma, around $250 a month here if you do it twice a week. Referrals can make you even more money.

I tried it but had an allergic reaction to the additive they use to thin out your blood so they can return it to you. My pulse went down to ~30 and by bp was ~60-70/30...

they gave me some saline and I was better within a few hours, but it was still pretty scary.

But even after that experience, I don't think it's that bad. You can barely feel it and most places have internet so it's like getting paid for what you'd be doing anyway.
  48. HoboCommander

Sep 30, 2007
    yikes, it sounds like you almost died.
  49. Isis24

Isis24 5+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Oh, the things pre-meds will do to get into med school...
  50. Isis24

Isis24 5+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2008
    You could always sell a kidney...
  51. SirGecko

SirGecko Go Navy 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Another good way to make a quick buck if you are in a large research area is to participate as a subject for studies. I do MRI studies at Duke and they tend to pay around twenty dollars an hour or more. (you just have to be ok with sitting in the MRI for a while, which I am; definitely not for claustrophobic people) I know that the Fuqua business school at Duke will also pay people to take surveys, so you can look into that as well if there is a business school or something near you.

But yeh, I'd try and get a job if you want some more steady money.