How is everyone paying for the excessive application fees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoboCommander

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you people planning to pay for application fees? I unfortunately don't have money to pay for application fees, and expensive as that is, application fees are pocket change compared to the cost of tuition.I only have enough to apply to a few schools.

Why oh why was I born so handsome but not rich? Unlike what they say, it's not true that to be handsome is to have a first-class ticket on the journey of life and I blame my parents for it. I will try to borrow money but it seems difficult since I don't have a job currently, I spend all my time volunteering at the clinic and pleasing everyone with my endowments. I want to apply very widely to maximize my chances of getting into med school. So what's a handsome guy like me supposed to do about the money situation?

Members don't see this ad.

did you look into FAP?

i don't think i am eligible because my family makes over the poverty line, but they want to buy a new car for themselves rather than help me pay for application fees. makes me wish i was born rich instead =/

Members don't see this ad :)
handsome and well endowed?
wow, rent "american gigalo" with richard gere.

Well, do what most people do...put it on plastic. The cost of applications is the reason that I'm entering medical school with 3500 of consumer debt...but if I hadn't applied pretty broadly, I very well might not be worrying about starting med school with that much owed to American Express. Instead, I would be worrying about paying to reapply.

handsome and well endowed?

yes, you'd be surprised.

wow, rent "american gigalo" with richard gere.

and how is this relevant to paying for app fees?

Well, do what most people do...put it on plastic. The cost of applications is the reason that I'm entering medical school with 3500 of consumer debt...but if I hadn't applied pretty broadly, I very well might not be worrying about starting med school with that much owed to American Express. Instead, I would be worrying about paying to reapply.

how high is the interest rates? don't you have to pay back like a million dollars by the end of your residency?

If you're really spending all your time volunteering why don't you cut that in half and get a part time job? Then you can pay most of your fees, and continue to volunteer. Adcoms won't hold getting a pt job against you.

If you're really spending all your time volunteering why don't you cut that in half and get a part time job? Then you can pay most of your fees, and continue to volunteer. Adcoms won't hold getting a pt job against you.

I would but I have to turn in my AMCAS application soon, like two weeks from now. Any quicker way to raise $$$ ?

And thanks all you wonderful girls for replying to my thread. I appreciate it.

I would but I have to turn in my AMCAS application soon, like two weeks from now. Any quicker way to raise $$$ ?

open up a credit card with one of those "6-12 months no internet no payments" offer and put it on that

that will at least buy you some time to make the money to pay them off, and you can have the application fees paid immediately

what is your amcas total?

yes, you'd be surprised.

and how is this relevant to paying for app fees?

how high is the interest rates? don't you have to pay back like a million dollars by the end of your residency?

For a handsome, well-endowed guy like yourself, why don't you try dressing up as a police officer or a firefighter and showing up at bachelorette parties? You'd raise more than enough money for the application fee in two weeks time.

For a handsome, well-endowed guy like yourself, why don't you try dressing up as a police officer or a firefighter and showing up at bachelorette parties? You'd raise more than enough money for the application fee in two weeks time.

:thumbup: Fast, easy money right there and he'd get to put his good looks to use.

this wont help if you dont already have a job, but I worked for the past 9 months, and saved some money to apply.

I've calculated my app fees, all classes and mcat and everything included... to about 10k. :scared::(

Members don't see this ad :)

1. Prostitution :thumbup: (takes one night)
2. Student credit card :thumbup: (takes 5-7 business days)

Has anyone thought about taking out a loan? I saw a commercial for Astrive student loans and took out a small amount. They send a check directly to you and the money can be spent on anything school related which could probably include paying application fees. The interest rate isn't to high either.

My cousin paid for his xbox 360, ps3, wii, american strat, taylor 310 acoustic, marshall amp, 32 inch lcd, ak47, about 40 games for said systems, and a bunch of other stuff by selling weed...

Of course, he did get busted and is on parole now but he had an extra 3,000 dollars before it was confiscated. His stuff purchased above wasn't taken though.

What kind of fees are you talking about? I took a bit of a loan out form my parents and used their credit card so they got some air miles out of it. I'm paying them back the no interest way. I mean, I put down over 1100 on apps, which is around the 30 school mark.

Landscaping...bust your balls out in the hot sun for a few hours away from anything medically related. Takes my mind off all the stress and worrying of this whole process.

:thumbup: Fast, easy money right there and he'd get to put his good looks to use.

...Or selling his man juice to the nearest infertility clinic. They pay a premium for good looks and high MCAT/SAT scores (about $250 according to the ad in the back of our student newspaper).

plastic, plastic and more plastic with previous plastics:(

I'm really really really lucky to be doing NCI research this summer that pays well enough to cover the app fees (with working at the hospital at the weekend to pay bills).

I'm definatley not rolling in the dough, but at least I'm not going further into debt...

How are you people planning to pay for application fees? I unfortunately don't have money to pay for application fees, and expensive as that is, application fees are pocket change compared to the cost of tuition.I only have enough to apply to a few schools.

Why oh why was I born so handsome but not rich? Unlike what they say, it's not true that to be handsome is to have a first-class ticket on the journey of life and I blame my parents for it. I will try to borrow money but it seems difficult since I don't have a job currently, I spend all my time volunteering at the clinic and pleasing everyone with my endowments. I want to apply very widely to maximize my chances of getting into med school. So what's a handsome guy like me supposed to do about the money situation?

Pick the credit card with the highest limit, and max that guy out. I ended up almost maxing out an 8K Amex (Over 20 primaries, 20 secondaries, the expenses of 12 interviews). But when I think about the fact that I'll be spending 200K on medical school, the 6K from the app cycle looks like nothing more than a drop in the bucket.

Fly to Indonesia and sell a kidney. I hear you get like 10K for that, and you have a cool scar that will add to your manly physique.

Fly to Indonesia and sell a kidney. I hear you get like 10K for that, and you have a cool scar that will add to your manly physique.

scrub in for the removal as well, count it as clinical experience on your app.

Question:
How is everyone paying for the excessive application fees?

Answer:
By subsisting on Ramen.

QFT. I ate pasta with soysauce tonight.

Pick the credit card with the highest limit, and max that guy out. I ended up almost maxing out an 8K Amex (Over 20 primaries, 20 secondaries, the expenses of 12 interviews). But when I think about the fact that I'll be spending 200K on medical school, the 6K from the app cycle looks like nothing more than a drop in the bucket.

uhh bad idea

seriously

Personally, my parents consider med school apps to be a quite worthy cause, and are generously paying for them for me. Pity not everyone has parents that can afford to do that though :(

scrub in for the removal as well, count it as clinical experience on your app.

Laughed for like 30 minutes. Just wanted to tell you thank you :D

I wonder if some of those fastweb scholarships cover stuff like this too? Then again, I highly doubt that would squeeze into your two week time frame.

I've calculated my app fees, all classes and mcat and everything included... to about 10k. :scared::(

Ummm.... WOW. That is a TON of money? What kind of classes did you take and how many schools are you applying to???

Credit card.

Then take out a larger student loan your first year to pay it off.

...Or selling his man juice to the nearest infertility clinic. They pay a premium for good looks and high MCAT/SAT scores (about $250 according to the ad in the back of our student newspaper).

Usually, you have to be at least 5'9". *sigh* I'm 5'8".

I seriously looked into, they pay damn good money except you can't drink, smoke, do drugs, have sex or masturbate (except of course in their office) for a year.

http://www.necryogenic.com/become_a_donor/index.php

This is just for primaries. Wait until you start getting those secondaries. You will definitely hate the day you were born.

This is just for primaries. Wait until you start getting those secondaries. You will definitely hate the day you were born.

Secondaries? Nah...wait till you are paying for plane tickets and hotel rooms.

I have a bunch of cc debt sitting at 0% for life of balance;)

I seriously looked into, they pay damn good money except you can't drink, smoke, do drugs, have sex or masturbate (except of course in their office) for a year.

OK this crosses that option off the list.

I would have used FAP, but I happened to have leftover money from my student loans. I am just going to use that to pay for it.

Sell weed, blood, semen, and body (fat girls need love to... but they have to pay, another family guy quote added to the thread).

I made a deal with my mother: if she pays for my applications, I'll apply to any schools she's heard of and wants me to go to (even though I don't have a shot in hell...oh mothers), and I'll get those apps done first. Also, when I'm a doctor I'll get her a condo somewhere warm, and a BMW.

I have a bunch of cc debt sitting at 0% for life of balance;)

Not a bad option, if you can find such a great rate.

You could always sell your plasma. If you're a good enough BS artist, you could spin it as a medically related EC. :thumbup:

i am already applying to some credit cards, i am also gonna get a loan in the fall to pay for traveling and other stuff. THANK GOD for the FAP

hmmm... you must be a CA resident i'm assuming?

That's what i spent on last cycle. Hopefully you'll have better luck =) :luck:

You could always sell your plasma. If you're a good enough BS artist, you could spin it as a medically related EC. :thumbup:

You can make some pretty good money selling plasma, around $250 a month here if you do it twice a week. Referrals can make you even more money.

I tried it but had an allergic reaction to the additive they use to thin out your blood so they can return it to you. My pulse went down to ~30 and by bp was ~60-70/30...

they gave me some saline and I was better within a few hours, but it was still pretty scary.

But even after that experience, I don't think it's that bad. You can barely feel it and most places have internet so it's like getting paid for what you'd be doing anyway.

You can make some pretty good money selling plasma, around $250 a month here if you do it twice a week. Referrals can make you even more money.

I tried it but had an allergic reaction to the additive they use to thin out your blood so they can return it to you. My pulse went down to ~30 and by bp was ~60-70/30...

they gave me some saline and I was better within a few hours, but it was still pretty scary.

But even after that experience, I don't think it's that bad. You can barely feel it and most places have internet so it's like getting paid for what you'd be doing anyway.

yikes, it sounds like you almost died.

Oh, the things pre-meds will do to get into med school...

You could always sell a kidney...

Another good way to make a quick buck if you are in a large research area is to participate as a subject for studies. I do MRI studies at Duke and they tend to pay around twenty dollars an hour or more. (you just have to be ok with sitting in the MRI for a while, which I am; definitely not for claustrophobic people) I know that the Fuqua business school at Duke will also pay people to take surveys, so you can look into that as well if there is a business school or something near you.

But yeh, I'd try and get a job if you want some more steady money.