How is fellowship match impacted by residency program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pesty Conqueror

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 4th year preparing for the match. I'm debating a largish community program with a handful of fellowships (cards, plum/cc, etc), and a university affiliation. It's one of my school's clinical sites and I've done the majority of the 3rd and 4th year rotations there. My spouse has a good job nearby (teacher) and we have lived in the area for the last two years. We really like the area and would love to stay. I know I would learn a lot and be happy at this program. I'm interested in GI and pulm/cc. The hospital does not have a GI fellowship.

On the other hand, I've interviewed at some larger programs with more name recognition, fellowship programs/spots, and research opportunities. However, none of these programs are top tier (i.e.: MGH). I'm concerned I may be hampering future fellowship and career opportunities by staying at the lesser-known program. I'm also a DO, which may mean I need the clout of a bigger name program to match at a good GI fellowship. Should I go for a bigger name program and risk the huge financial burden of my spouse being unemployed?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You might want to post the names of the program you are considering in the "official how to rank" thread. People can't give you feedback if you don't at least mention the programs.

Personally I think you will not match in GI coming from a residency program that does not even have a GI fellowship program. Who are you going to do research with? Who is going to write your recommendation letters? University hospital or not, you need to have a GI fellowship director who can give you advice and support you. But you may end up liking other subspecialties

The program without the GI fellowship has matched people to GI in the past, including this past match. It's hard to gauge how competitive the applicant was though because they went to a university program I know nothing about.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The program without the GI fellowship has matched people to GI in the past, including this past match. It's hard to gauge how competitive the applicant was though because they went to a university program I know nothing about.

I am in a very similar situation and I'll share the advice I've been given. I'm also a DO deciding between a large university program with every fellowship, and a small university affiliate with no in house fellowships. I met with the director of a GI fellowship I'm interested in and he told me that if you really like the option with no GI fellowship and you really feel that you can be their best resident and make good connections for yourself, that will matter more than going to a larger program and just being one of many. What matters most is the opportunities you create for yourself. Either way you are not going to land a GI fellowship at Hopkins or anywhere similar. I think if you do we'll enough, network, get involved in research early, you'll still have a shot at a competitive fellowship. Pennsylvania hospital's chief resident matched into hemeonc at Yale new haven this year, if you want something more evidence based.

I just read your other post, and both mmc and Lahey will give you excellent GI connections. Go with your gut feeling and what will work best for you and your spouse. MMC matched 1 into GI this year at OHSU and I think she was a DO. You'll do fine wherever you go, and you have great options.