Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How is Human Anatomy + Physiology differnet than Physiology?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by joonkimdds, Jan 3, 2009.

1. joonkimdds

joonkimdds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I took human physiology but I haven't taken anatomy&physiology class yet.

I read many people saying anatomy&physiology class helps on DAT but I never read anyone saying physiology helps on bio dat...etc.

I was wondering if there is a big difference between those two classes.

For example, I learned about tissues, nerve, muscle, hormones, brain, organs in physiology class. What does anatomy&physiology class teach that physiology class doesn't teach?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. murff05

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I only took Animal Physiology and not A&P. But then I also took a Comparative Anatomy Class. I think you learn more in those classes than A&P because you learn about other animals as well as humans.

4. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    A&P isn't as in depth (usually) as if someone were to take the courses seperate. The courses overlap. I took anatomy first and there's a lot of physiology within the course. Look at requirements schools want, some may want physiology specifically...

5. dc0617

2+ Year Member

Some schools are funny about the anatomy requierements; ie you need a semester of human anatomy and another of physiology, but if it is a combined course, you need 2 semesters of it (parts I and II). So check those before registering, but I agree that physiology is a good prep for the DAT, I haven't taken anatomy yet and did just fine :) Good luck!

6. WOAHHI

5+ Year Member

uhh this might be sorta off topic but would "animal comparative physiology" count as a recommended physiology upper div class or should it be a class studying human physiology?

7. needa20

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    there may be a little confusion here. when most students take anatomy, physiology, or A&P, most of the time it is the same that a nursing student would take.

some undergrad schools are lucky enough to have actual cadaver's to work on. its basically called human anatomy or gross anatomy, same as you would take during dental school