How is it working as a pharmacy intern at a retail/major chain pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAriPharmD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Previously, I've worked at CVS as a pharmacy tech for a few months while in undergrad. I didn't get a chance to learn as much as I would have liked to, but it was still a pretty good experience. Now I am about to start pharmacy school in the fall, and was looking at applying to CVS again (and Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc.) as an intern. Anyone who is currently an intern at a retail pharmacy or has been in the past, can you give me some feedback on your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

2.5 years retail, 1 year hospital, and almost 1 year of LTC experience here.

You need to work in some type of pharmacy while in pharmacy school, for several reasons:

1. Getting your foot in the door is huge, especially in this age of saturation. It may give you a back-up plan when you graduate at bare minimum.
2. Resume experience/general pharmacy experience.
3. Gives you an idea of what you'll actually be doing the rest of your life (ie. you may learn you hate retail, and thus will be motivated to seek hospital employment in your future).
4. Will help you learn drug names and dosages (can't hurt).

So many students are in pharmacy school and have never even worked in one a day in their lives, it is ridiculously stupid.

Reactions: 2 users
2.5 years retail, 1 year hospital, and almost 1 year of LTC experience here.

You need to work in some type of pharmacy while in pharmacy school, for several reasons:

1. Getting your foot in the door is huge, especially in this age of saturation. It may give you a back-up plan when you graduate at bare minimum.
2. Resume experience/general pharmacy experience.
3. Gives you an idea of what you'll actually be doing the rest of your life (ie. you may learn you hate retail, and thus will be motivated to seek hospital employment in your future).
4. Will help you learn drug names and dosages (can't hurt).

So many students are in pharmacy school and have never even worked in one a day in their lives, it is ridiculously stupid.
Thanks! I was already planning on doing an internship. I enjoyed my technician experience minus the scheduling/problems I had with the pharmacy manager. I just wanted to get some firsthand feedback on someone's intern experience. How did you like all of your different pharmacy experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
No retail experience here, but I was a hospital intern throughout all of pharmacy school. It was a pretty sweet gig because I learned a lot of valuable skills and had a decent amount of downtime to get some studying in. Definitely helped out when it came time to find that first job.

Reactions: 1 user
All of them have been a learning experience, and thus I have enjoyed them and each one has been an invaluable opportunity. I have found that I do not want to stand up for 10 hours daily for the next 30 years of my life (retail; I have a bad back), and so I am pursuing other avenues of pharmacy. The company (pharmacy staff) you have at work will make or break your experience, ultimately. Learn to get along with everyone, and keep a positive attitude (try at least). Focus on networking as well.

Okay thanks both of you! @gwarm01 I was thinking about trying out a hospital pharmacy as well. I just didn't see many openings when I checked locations near me. @PharmDBro2017 yeah, my experience with CVS was fine at first. I'm a very nice and friendly person so I get along well with everyone, but the pharmacy manager began saying rude comments to me and just overall being disrespectful when I asked for approval for someone to cover my shift. I still learned a lot and enjoyed the other coworkers and customers. But I also don't know if I would want to do retail for the rest of my life haha.

Okay thanks both of you! @gwarm01 I was thinking about trying out a hospital pharmacy as well. I just didn't see many openings when I checked locations near me. @PharmDBro2017 yeah, my experience with CVS was fine at first. I'm a very nice and friendly person so I get along well with everyone, but the pharmacy manager began saying rude comments to me and just overall being disrespectful when I asked for approval for someone to cover my shift. I still learned a lot and enjoyed the other coworkers and customers. But I also don't know if I would want to do retail for the rest of my life haha.

Here in my state, and I believe in general, you don't get intern status until you have 1 year of pharmacy school under your belt. So your first year, the only positions you can work would be as a technician. I know that the job can seem tedious/you are eager to do hard pharmacist stuff, but don't take for granted the things you can pick up as a technician. If you have a reasonably cool pharmacist, ask them questions, during down times ask to watch them/explain the various duties they are doing as well.

And anywhere you go, you will have dick people to deal with. It doesn't matter if it is hospital, retail, office setting, etc. You just have to learn how to handle those situations properly to maintain your professionalism at least, even if someone else is not, and not to let those things bother you as much. Personally, my worst experiences co worker wise were in the hospital setting (one pharmacist physically grabbed me because I didn't know where something was in central fill/did nothing but bark at me the entire time I was told to spend a few hours with him on an APPE site rotational experience).

Here in my state, and I believe in general, you don't get intern status until you have 1 year of pharmacy school under your belt. So your first year, the only positions you can work would be as a technician. I know that the job can seem tedious/you are eager to do hard pharmacist stuff, but don't take for granted the things you can pick up as a technician. If you have a reasonably cool pharmacist, ask them questions, during down times ask to watch them/explain the various duties they are doing as well.

And anywhere you go, you will have dick people to deal with. It doesn't matter if it is hospital, retail, office setting, etc. You just have to learn how to handle those situations properly to maintain your professionalism at least, even if someone else is not, and not to let those things bother you as much. Personally, my worst experiences co worker wise were in the hospital setting (one pharmacist physically grabbed me because I didn't know where something was in central fill/did nothing but bark at me the entire time I was told to spend a few hours with him on an APPE site rotational experience).
Okay thank you! And yeah, I know I'll have hard people to work with in the future for sure. Which is why I usually don't let things get to me.

But in my state, you can work as an intern as soon as you start pharmacy school (as long as you have your intern/extern license). My original plan was to stay at CVS as a technician (for ~1 year) then transfer to another store when I moved, so that I could be promoted to intern status in August/September. Instead, I have to start over but that's fine because it gives me a chance to look at other places.

Can't speak for everyone but some of us didn't have a choice. When I was in school, i must have applied to a thousand places. no one wants to hire an intern when they can pluck them out of the schools for free and tech positions were scarce as well. The only offer i got was from waldbaums but they couldn't work around my schedule whatsoever. i'm kinda glad they didn't cause the entire chain collapsed and filed for bankruptcy last year.

What you can do as an intern varies by state. Where I am you can basically do anything (except final verification) as long as a pharmacist is supervising (flu shots, counsel, transfers, take new prescriptions, etc.). Your experience will vary based on where you work and what your preceptor feels comfortable with you doing. In retail you probably won't have down time to study or anything, but experience definitely helps. Most chains have a development program for their interns (management type stuff in mine).
I think that's the sort of stuff you were asking for?

What you can do as an intern varies by state. Where I am you can basically do anything (except final verification) as long as a pharmacist is supervising (flu shots, counsel, transfers, take new prescriptions, etc.). Your experience will vary based on where you work and what your preceptor feels comfortable with you doing. In retail you probably won't have down time to study or anything, but experience definitely helps. Most chains have a development program for their interns (management type stuff in mine).
I think that's the sort of stuff you were asking for?
Yes this helps. I think our states are the same in their definition of what an intern can do. And thanks for the info!

I highy recommend interning at a retail outfit. I worked for Kroger during pharmacy school and had a great team of pharmacists and techs. I am very thankful for the experience, it helped me get a firsthand experience of what my career may look like if I went the retail pathway.

My retail internship experience helped me focus on research, didactics, my hospital and ambulatory internships and networking because I knew without a shadow of a doubt I would be miserable if I ended up working as a retail pharmacist. Internships are just as much about finding out what you do not want to do as they are for experience and figuring out what you want to do

I highy recommend interning at a retail outfit. I worked for Kroger during pharmacy school and had a great team of pharmacists and techs. I am very thankful for the experience, it helped me get a firsthand experience of what my career may look like if I went the retail pathway.

My retail internship experience helped me focus on research, didactics, my hospital and ambulatory internships and networking because I knew without a shadow of a doubt I would be miserable if I ended up working as a retail pharmacist. Internships are just as much about finding out what you do not want to do as they are for experience and figuring out what you want to do
Thanks! This really helps a lot. I'm excited to take on new tasks if I get the internships that I've applied for. And yes, I really think it will help me in determining what I want to do in the future. I liked retail but it is very fast pace and can sometimes be stressful. I also shadowed at a hospital pharmacy and saw that it was a lot more laid back, so I'm hoping to gain more experience in both areas. And I know the PPE rotations will also be helpful in determining which area of pharmacy I want to do or if I want to do a residency in a specific area.

Thanks! This really helps a lot. I'm excited to take on new tasks if I get the internships that I've applied for. And yes, I really think it will help me in determining what I want to do in the future. I liked retail but it is very fast pace and can sometimes be stressful. I also shadowed at a hospital pharmacy and saw that it was a lot more laid back, so I'm hoping to gain more experience in both areas. And I know the PPE rotations will also be helpful in determining which area of pharmacy I want to do or if I want to do a residency in a specific area.
Do yourself a favor and fight tooth and nail for a hospital tech/intern job. No one ever posts a thread asking "how to break into retail from hospital" and there is a damn good reason why.

Reactions: 1 users
Do yourself a favor and fight tooth and nail for a hospital tech/intern job. No one ever posts a thread asking "how to break into retail from hospital" and there is a damn good reason why.
Haha okay I got ya!

Can't speak for everyone but some of us didn't have a choice. When I was in school, i must have applied to a thousand places. no one wants to hire an intern when they can pluck them out of the schools for free and tech positions were scarce as well. The only offer i got was from waldbaums but they couldn't work around my schedule whatsoever. i'm kinda glad they didn't cause the entire chain collapsed and filed for bankruptcy last year.

I understand. It is hard for me to grasp since I did the same thing (applied to every place I could), and got two pharmacy jobs via that process and another hospital job through completing my IPPE there. You need to sell yourself everywhere you can, especially at job interviews... sell yourself and make them realize why they need you.

All I'm saying is that I often hear jokes from professors talking about how some students never have even worked in a pharmacy... how do you even know you want to be a pharmacist then? There's some wild thought among students that just because you make 6 figures, it makes the job worth it and rewarding... and that's far from the truth imo.