How is job market for general dentists in big cities, like LA, NYC?

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by pocarisweat, Aug 24, 2015.

1. pocarisweat

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    How saturated is job market for general dentists in metropolitan areas, like SF, LA, NYC?
    I have heard those are the most saturated areas with dentists and most of new grads move out to work in rural areas, but is it impossible to find a job and join the associates? or is it possible with a highly reduced pay? if possible, what is pay difference like?

2. comatose

comatose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This all depends on what you want at this point In your life. If you want to live in a big city then go for it. Salaries shouldn't dictate where you might want to live. that being said I lived in a big city with an average salary. i moved and now I make almost double what I made in the big city. It just depends where you're at and what YOU want to do not what soemone else is doing

3. pocarisweat

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thank you for your reply. Yes I do really want to live in metro area, but reading the threads made me think that it is almost not possible to find a job in those cities but I guess it is doable. Thanks!

4. AP1111

2+ Year Member

What rural area did you move to?