How is Kaplan lec notes for Internal Medicine clerkship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmedstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
its a big book...so its a lot of time investment. so i wanted to know if its worth the read? (as oppose to other books for IM shelf)....

Members don't see this ad.

its a big book...so its a lot of time investment. so i wanted to know if its worth the read? (as oppose to other books for IM shelf)....

Step up to medicine + Do all UWorld Medicine questions = do really well on medicine shelf.

Just do that, really. It's not worth reinventing the wheel and trying other stuff. You only get to take the shelf once :).

Kaplan is an excellent resource for the shelf. It's less dense than Step up to Medicine and has the pertinent information to do extremely well on the shelf and Step II.

Members don't see this ad :)
kaplan look notes look very solid to me. i ended up using step up because of it's popularity at my school but i think knowing either one solid will set you up to do well.

kaplan look notes look very solid to me. i ended up using step up because of it's popularity at my school but i think knowing either one solid will set you up to do well.

Maybe I spoke too soon -- it seems like the Kaplan notes are pretty popular :). Why don't you at least take a look at step up too, though, I thought it was really great. And don't forget UWorld! That's like 10 free questions on the shelf, at least.

i think ill try to stick to kaplan, step up to medicine and u world

but just to inquire....

what about case files & pretest? any good word about these resources?

Step up to medicine + Do all UWorld Medicine questions = do really well on medicine shelf.

Just do that, really. It's not worth reinventing the wheel and trying other stuff. You only get to take the shelf once :).

That doesn't answer the question. Have you seen the Kaplan IM notes? Some people don't like to read something in a bulleted outline format.

That doesn't answer the question. Have you seen the Kaplan IM notes? Some people don't like to read something in a bulleted outline format.

I have to say that you're coming off a bit confrontational here and I'm not entirely sure why. I was merely telling the OP that I know, for sure, that Step Up and UWorld contain the needed information to perform well on the Medicine exam. I didn't say that the Kaplan notes were bad.

What it comes down to is style.

First Aid, Step-Up, ACP/MKSAP, Kaplan, all of them are pretty good resources.

After using Kaplan for Step 2, I would encourage you to use their notes if you like a lot of dense reading. It is by no means sparse. Obviously its no Harrison's or Cecil's, but it is probably the most comprehensive review reading material for medical students (I dont count Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment for medical students).

That being said, their organization is very text-booky. That is, you may not put presentations together in your head so it will require you do some questions as well. Therefore, in being on the Wards and preparing for your Shelf, you may not have the time to get it all done.

But, if (1) you like reading paragraphs, (2) you have time or read quickly, and (3) you want the highest score possible, go with Kaplan.

An old thread, but just wanted to state my frustration with Kaplan IM. Reason being, it is ridiculously unorganized; Repeating things constantly, paragraphs where they shouldn't be, jumping around between topics, etc. Really it feels like one of those poorly put together 100 slide long power points we are all too familiar with. Needs some serious editing to trim it down and improve readability. If I could go back I would have chosen step up or MTB (although I hate that jackass Conrad lol).