How is "literature review" publication viewed on residency applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zNoodlez

Handmade Noodle
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, OMS-III here, I was recently offered an opportunity to take part in writing a review article (non-systematic) that can potentially lead to a publication (definitely not first, second, or even third author). Is this worth the time and how will it be weighted when applying for residency compared to actual bench/clinical research or volunteering?

Members don't see this ad.

No, it's less than a case report. If this is your only possible project and you're aiming for a competitive field, you might as well have something to show interest

Reactions: 1 users
No, it's less than a case report. If this is your only possible project and you're aiming for a competitive field, you might as well have something to show interest
I am aiming for academic IM, will this publication help in any way?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am aiming for academic IM, will this publication help in any way?
No, it won't help by much at all. You aren't even considered for a first or second author in this. I think it's a positive thing to have on your CV, but it won't be something where they'll choose you over another candidate with stronger numbers

The other person replying you is someone that failed first year of medical school and has the delusional belief that they'll be accepted into NYU general surgery (a program with 0 DOs and multiple people from Emory and Ivy League schools). They didn't like the advice that I gave them to focus on lower-tier programs if they want a chance at surgery at all

My qualifications? Worked in research at two top UC campuses before medical school and obtained two second author publications there (total of 5 years of work) then got 5 publications while in internal medicine residency (Four 1st author, one 2nd). I'm currently working on a publication for fellowship

Reactions: 2 users
Review articles take a lot of time and teach the fundamentals of research. Learning how to evaluate the literature critically is an important skill to learn.
Alas, as AlbinoHawk alluded to us this is more of an exercise in self improvement (which can be VERY beneficial depending on the field OP wants to enter) but it is unlikely to move the scale one way or another when matching residency. I think it is better than nothing and depending on the field OP wants to enter, this opportunity is a good idea for self improvement but it’s unlikely to make a difference in matching.

I tend to lie more on the end of the spectrum with @AlbinoHawk DO , writing reviews as a student often takes way more time than it’s worth. original research, even a small case series with a few novel insights, add more to the field than a nonsystematic review. Even for fellows I tend to recommend against spending time writing reviews and prioritizing original research, leaving reviews for later in your career (if you stay in academia).

Furthermore, this “opportunity” feels a little sketchy. What is meant by “may potentially lead to publication?” Unless a review is invited by the journal (usually sent to the senior author who is prominent in the field), then cold-writing a review is often difficult to get published in good journals. And what kind of work are they hoping you can put in yet not even qualify for 1-3 on author list? How many authors is this review going to include?

Bottom line, I would prioritize original research articles over this. If this is your only option for publication, then I’d try to clarify a little bit exactly how much effort this would entail. If its not a ton of effort (as I would hope this wouldn’t be given the low place you would have on the author list) then it may be worth pursuing. This would be more useful than volunteering though, which really should only be done if it makes you happy as it will not move the needle when it comes to applying to residency.

Reactions: 3 users
I tend to lie more on the end of the spectrum with @AlbinoHawk DO , writing reviews as a student often takes way more time than it’s worth. original research, even a small case series with a few novel insights, add more to the field than a nonsystematic review. Even for fellows I tend to recommend against spending time writing reviews and prioritizing original research, leaving reviews for later in your career (if you stay in academia).

Furthermore, this “opportunity” feels a little sketchy. What is meant by “may potentially lead to publication?” Unless a review is invited by the journal (usually sent to the senior author who is prominent in the field), then cold-writing a review is often difficult to get published in good journals. And what kind of work are they hoping you can put in yet not even qualify for 1-3 on author list? How many authors is this review going to include?

Bottom line, I would prioritize original research articles over this. If this is your only option for publication, then I’d try to clarify a little bit exactly how much effort this would entail. If its not a ton of effort (as I would hope this wouldn’t be given the low place you would have on the author list) then it may be worth pursuing. This would be more useful than volunteering though, which really should only be done if it makes you happy as it will not move the needle when it comes to applying to residency.
No, it won't help by much at all. You aren't even considered for a first or second author in this. I think it's a positive thing to have on your CV, but it won't be something where they'll choose you over another candidate with stronger numbers

The other person replying you is someone that failed first year of medical school and has the delusional belief that they'll be accepted into NYU general surgery (a program with 0 DOs and multiple people from Emory and Ivy League schools). They didn't like the advice that I gave them to focus on lower-tier programs if they want a chance at surgery at all

My qualifications? Worked in research at two top UC campuses before medical school and obtained two second author publications there (total of 5 years of work) then got 5 publications while in internal medicine residency (Four 1st author, one 2nd). I'm currently working on a publication for fellowship
I am currently working on a review article as a med student and my mentor said it is helping their research group show history of publishing so they can earn grant money. Not sure if I am going to be on the grant, but it does feel like a stepping stone to getting on more projects with this PI in the future. Might be good for early younger med students, but not necessarily 3rd years. I am also shooting for one of the least competitive specialties so it's a little different situation for me.

Obviously both of you are more experienced, but I think that these opportunities could have value in gaining the trust of a PI so they are willing to give you more to do in the future.

I am currently working on a review article as a med student and my mentor said it is helping their research group show history of publishing so they can earn grant money. Not sure if I am going to be on the grant, but it does feel like a stepping stone to getting on more projects with this PI in the future. Might be good for early younger med students, but not necessarily 3rd years. I am also shooting for one of the least competitive specialties so it's a little different situation for me.

Obviously both of you are more experienced, but I think that these opportunities could have value in gaining the trust of a PI so they are willing to give you more to do in the future.
Sure, don’t get me wrong there is SOME value in these pubs. But given the choice it is certainly more valuable to get original research publications. This review is certainly more valuable to your PI than it is to you. Your point that it may get you an “in” for other projects is valid.

Reactions: 1 user

It's not a zero value activity. The OP was asking in regards to making a difference for their application. Having reviewed applicants for my residency, I never saw a situation where a review article was taken as a serious consideration over someone else

It's not a zero value activity. The OP was asking in regards to making a difference for their application. Having reviewed applicants for my residency, I never saw a situation where a review article was taken as a serious consideration over someone else
Then you should fundamentally change the way you handle review articles.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming what you mean is that I should give these articles more value when considering an applicant. This is not "my" standard. This is the standard across the board. Do you even know what a review article is? Why would I (or anyone) give someone more consideration for being part of a team writing one versus someone that gets +5 points on their step or go an honors in a rotation or has a glowing letter of recommendation? I know you're desperate to stand out to get into your field of choice, but it will not happen with magical thinking or gimmicks. It will only happen by doing the things that actually hold value

Bruh… I can’t believe people are giving you this much slack. You’re opinions are wrong. They’re so wrong, at this point you’re **** posting. If you’ve actually published you know reviews are basically nothing, because they’re the foundation of every project. Literally everyone does it. You’re forcing people to say that there is value because the value they (reviews) offer isn’t zero… well their value is worth 0.000001… and my ass rounds down… they’re worth zero! You’re a med student earning a terminal degree… if your UG degree didn’t teach you the fundamentals of research, you need to get a refund!

Bruh… I can’t believe people are giving you this much slack. You’re opinions are wrong. They’re so wrong, at this point you’re **** posting. If you’ve actually published you know reviews are basically nothing, because they’re the foundation of every project. Literally everyone does it. You’re forcing people to say that there is value because the value they (reviews) offer isn’t zero… well their value is worth 0.000001… and my ass rounds down… they’re worth zero! You’re a med student earning a terminal degree… if your UG degree didn’t teach you the fundamentals of research, you need to get a refund!
I guess I will drop the damn thing and use the time to sleep more….

Similar to others, I’m not sure what you’re arguing. Again, a review article is not zero value, but it is not on the same level as original research. And it isn’t even particularly close

I'm assuming what you mean is that I should give these articles more value when considering an applicant. This is not "my" standard. This is the standard across the board. Do you even know what a review article is? Why would I (or anyone) give someone more consideration for being part of a team writing one versus someone that gets +5 points on their step or go an honors in a rotation or has a glowing letter of recommendation? I know you're desperate to stand out to get into your field of choice, but it will not happen with magical thinking or gimmicks. It will only happen by doing the things that actually hold value
Learning useless facts for a unnecessary high step score should not hold value. Doing a review article endlessly searching the literature on your topic of interest relevant to your field should hold value.

Learning useless facts for a unnecessary high step score should not hold value. Doing a review article endlessly searching the literature on your topic of interest relevant to your field should hold value.
Should vs reality. Gotta play the game with the rules that are in front of you. If/when you get to the other side, you can attempt to change the game.

Well that isn't the comparison we're making here. The question is whether it is worth it to spend time on a literature review as a medical student, vs pursuing original research. If both options are on the table the answer is clearly original research
Are you all including actual systematic reviews/meta-analyses in this? Those are a ton of work and contribute a lot to the field.
No--OP specifically said non-systematic. This is just in regards to your run of the mill literature review.

You're trolling at this point. Besides, you don't even have the capacity to even know what is a useless fact as an M1

Are you all including actual systematic reviews/meta-analyses in this? Those are a ton of work and contribute a lot to the field.

No, specified in the first post is non-systematic

• Haha
  • Love
Will being the first author for a review paper have any impact? I have 3 pubs so far, 1 is the original research (3rd author at a pretty good journal), and two are first authors on review papers. I am working on original research right now as a 1st author though. Wanting academic IM.

Will being the first author for a review paper have any impact? I have 3 pubs so far, 1 is the original research (3rd author at a pretty good journal), and two are first authors on review papers. I am working on original research right now as a 1st author though. Wanting academic IM.
I think it shows a lot of initiative. Everyone knows it's hard to publish in medical school. I had a project going that failed and ended up without any publications. I would view a candidate like you in a positive light. I can't say how much it would compensate or give you an edge. I don't imagine huge, but it could be what gets you an interview

Again, the message from this thread shouldn’t be that reviews are worthless—that’s not true. They just aren’t as impressive as original research.

The fact that you do have original research and were first author on the reviews is great.

I think it shows a lot of initiative. Everyone knows it's hard to publish in medical school. I had a project going that failed and ended up without any publications. I would view a candidate like you in a positive light. I can't say how much it would compensate or give you an edge. I don't imagine huge, but it could be what gets you an interview

Again, the message from this thread shouldn’t be that reviews are worthless—that’s not true. They just aren’t as impressive as original research.

The fact that you do have original research and were first author on the reviews is great.

Would you guys agree that even though lit reviews or case studies may not show research aptitude, they at least show commitment to specialty (when the applicant is writing these pubs in the speciality they apply to)? Some programs really place a high value on your commitment to their speciality.

Would you guys agree that even though lit reviews or case studies may not show research aptitude, they at least show commitment to specialty (when the applicant is writing these pubs in the speciality they apply to)? Some programs really place a high value on your commitment to their speciality.
I think I said repeatedly that lit reviews have some value. Not as much as original research. But you have to weigh the benefit of a lit review against the time needed

I think I said repeatedly that lit reviews have some value. Not as much as original research. But you have to weigh the benefit of a lit review against the time needed

There are programs that care about research. And then there are programs that care about commitment to specialty. I am specifically referring to programs that care about commitment to specialty. Does having lit reviews in the field you are applying to help make your CV better for these programs specifically in regards to proving that you care about the specialty?

There are programs that care about research. And then there are programs that care about commitment to specialty. I am specifically referring to programs that care about commitment to specialty. Does having lit reviews in the field you are applying to help make your CV better for these programs specifically in regards to proving that you care about the specialty?
I am not sure how I can more clearly answer your question. Lit reviews make your CV better. Whether or not they are worth the effort required is a multifactorial question.

The most important question isn't "will a lit review help my CV." It is, "is a lit review the most helpful activity available to me at this time."

Yes, but not as much as other projects mentioned above. I did a review that was well received because it was in a niche, relatively unexplored topic. But I didn't have the resources to get a more rigorous project published in time. Do what you can and network.

Yes, that's as far as they go, but honestly, everyone knows undergrads and medical students aren't going to be publishing anything monumental. We all know that 90% of stuff on a CV is just padding. People do one project then give it 3 different names for the oral presentation, paper and poster just to make it seem they were 3 projects. I just think people overemphasize how important research can be unless it is in an actual high impact journal and your name is in the top authors

Interesting? Somewhat common. Impacts the way people think about a condition, syndrome, disease, and subsequent treatment? Not often.

Review article is worth less than a case report? They take so much more time though
I think a review is more valuable than the case report (but less than original research obviously). Case reports are rarely ever useful to the literature, while quality reviews are helpful references at least, and they are more likely to be cited. Also, it takes more research/writing skills to process a review than a case report. Focus on what you're interested in though, because reviews do take a big time commitment and won't be worth it if it's not a good learning experience for yourself.

I think a review is more valuable than the case report (but less than original research obviously). Case reports are rarely ever useful to the literature, while quality reviews are helpful references at least, and they are more likely to be cited. Also, it takes more research/writing skills to process a review than a case report. Focus on what you're interested in though, because reviews do take a big time commitment and won't be worth it if it's not a good learning experience for yourself.
Valuable to you, maybe, but researchers don't see it this way because it's putting together data that already exists out there. They don't see things in terms of time commitment or your own learning but rather results for the literature at large. If a prestigious lab does it, it is taken seriously because they analyze the data at higher levels. Ironically, because they are elite labs, they are more of a favor to a journal than of value to them. Research is meant for new findings and novelty, so that's why a case report is considered of value. I agree that 99% of case reports just exist, but once in a while, they hold value. The most recent example is that this is how they found the link of JJ vaccine and GBS

Valuable to you, maybe, but researchers don't see it this way because it's putting together data that already exists out there. They don't see things in terms of time commitment or your own learning but rather results for the literature at large. If a prestigious lab does it, it is taken seriously because they analyze the data at higher levels. Ironically, because they are elite labs, they are more of a favor to a journal than of value to them. Research is meant for new findings and novelty, so that's why a case report is considered of value. I agree that 99% of case reports just exist, but once in a while, they hold value. The most recent example is that this is how they found the link of JJ vaccine and GBS
I am a researcher! I agree that effort doesn't matter as much as contribution, but I believe a literature review contributes more than a case report, on average, assuming both are written well. When the research items themselves are not of particularly high value to science, we consider the writing/research skills gained from the assignment in evaluating applicants (similar to why applicants get some credit for "submitted" manuscripts of value, even though they are not published and may never be published). The reason I mention that OP should consider their own learning is because I don't think a literature review is particularly high value on a CV given the time commitment, so there must be other benefits. But I put case reports very low on the totem pole - they are not original research and no one reads them (typically). Even a case report in a prestigious journal speaks more to luck than scientific aptitude/hypothesis generating. It is far more likely for a literature review to receive citations than a case report.

Last edited:
I am a researcher! I agree that effort doesn't matter as much as contribution, but I believe a literature review contributes more than a case report, on average, assuming both are written well. When the research items themselves are not of particularly high value to science, we consider the writing/research skills gained from the assignment in evaluating applicants (similar to why applicants get some credit for "submitted" manuscripts of value, even though they are not published and may never be published). The reason I mention that OP should consider their own learning is because I don't think a literature review is particularly high value on a CV given the time commitment, so there must be other benefits. But I put case reports very low on the totem poll - they are not original research and no one reads them (typically). Even a case report in a prestigious journal speaks more to luck than scientific aptitude/hypothesis generating. It is far more likely for a literature review to receive citations than a case report.
I agree with you--the biggest point to keep in mind, though, is the time commitment for a review. Much more than a case report and so that may be less valuable for a student then multiple case reports that they could do in the time of a single review.

I agree with you--the biggest point to keep in mind, though, is the time commitment for a review. Much more than a case report and so that may be less valuable for a student then multiple case reports that they could do in the time of a single review.

Yes, unless it's for a top journal or the OP has a personal investment in the topic, a review may not be the most productive use of time if there are other options.

Yes, unless it's for a top journal or the OP has a personal investment in the topic, a review may not be the most productive use of time if there are other options.
In your opinion, what is considered a top journal?

In your opinion, what is considered a top journal?
Agree with above that IF >10 is likely prestigious (exceptions being the ID journals falsely elevated by COVID). Also flagship journals in your field are definitely worth considering (like JACS - American College of Surgeons) which typically also have good impact factors but may be lower for more specialized or less research heavy fields.

Reactions: 3 users