SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How is Ohio Univresity of Osteopathic Med?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by DoctorFeelGood, Feb 18, 2002.

1. DoctorFeelGood

DoctorFeelGood Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 7, 2000
    W. Bloomfield, MI, USA
    Hello, I was wondering if you can give me some feedback as to how OUCOM is. What are your inputs or comments about the university?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AthensfromCols

AthensfromCols Member 7+ Year Member

May 15, 2001
    I am currently a first year student at OUCOM. The school is great! The faculty are very supportive and knowledgeable. The curricula are very strong as well. If you like PBL type learning with lots of clinical experiences, PCC is the curriculum for you. If, however, you prefer lectures with weekly small group case discussions and less clinical experience, choose the CPC curriculum. Either way you should receive great preparation for the boards and beyond. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

P.S. The only drawback I've discovered so far is the small town of Athens. There isn't much to do here and the closest big city is Parkersburg, WV or Columbus.

4. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Columbus, OH
    I have a question for you. I applied to the summer research program at Ohio U recently. I know that all students planning on studying medicine in this program are granted interviews that summer, before "normal" interviews take place. Could you tell me a little bit about the success rate of students who participate in this summer program that actually are accepted by the medical school? I would imagine it would be pretty high, since the admissions committee basically chooses you to be apart of the program. Therefore, they recognize that you're a good student. Why else would they grant automatic interviews to those students enrolled in the summer program? Anyways...I'm rambling. If you could, please tell me more about this program(What you know at least) and it's success rate as far as gaining admission to the medical school is concerned.

Thanks

5. AthensfromCols

AthensfromCols Member 7+ Year Member

May 15, 2001
    I have no hard stats for you concerning acceptance rates for the summer scholars or summer research programs. However, there are SEVERAL students that I know who attended these programs and were accepted. I think the key is to perform well during these programs since you are exposed to some of the work load you would see in med school and are given exams and assignments. This shows the school that you can cut it later. The students are granted interviews in early August before anyone is interviewed. Since the admissions process is rolling admissions, that gives them a distinct advantage. First interviewed could equal first accepted. Make the most of the summer you spend at OUCOM and dazzle them during your interview. You'll probably be accepted.

Good luck!

6. Atlas

Atlas Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Columbus, OH
    I haven't been accepted yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd like to get accepted into this summer program because I know I'd be granted at least one interview next year. Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate your feedback.

7. IceDoctor

IceDoctor Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Cincinnati
    I agree with what was said earlier. However, I like to add that if you are an Ohio resident...your chances of gaining an interview and admission are higher than the non resident. Furthermore, if you are an under-represented minority, you have a better shot as well. Bottom line is that you still need good GPA, extra curriculars, and letters of reccomendation. Ohio University stresses the "whole person" attitude. You have to have the smarts and the background to have a legitimate shot.