How is "osteopathy" pronounced?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanook

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Allright, this is an incredibly stupid question, but I'm really curious. I had always thought that it was pronounced the "obvious" way, that is:

AH-stee-oh--path-ee (accent on first syllable, notice pronunciation of "path" in the word)

But on the KCOM tour video (which you can watch online at www.kcom.edu), they have a gentleman who, during an interview, repeatedly pronounced it as:

ah-stee-AH-puth-ee

(different emphasis, and slightly different pronounciation)

I'd hate to get to interviews and say it the wrong way! Anyone in DO school right now should be able to clear this up.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey. I believe both are widely accepted. The one pronunciation with the accent on the 3rd syllable is an older version.. I don't believe it really matters; unless, you interview at NOVA. Make sure you use the 3rd accent one in your interview. And in case you forget, Dr. Terry will keep reminding you. LOL.
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

I have heard the second pronunciation used more.

Have a good night

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

I was reading your post and for the fun of it decided to look up the pronunciation of osteopathy in Dorland's Medical Dictionary.

Here is what he had to say:
os"te-op'ah-the

When I first moved to Kirsville and was trying to talk to people about where things were at I quickly learned not to use the oseo-pathy pronunciation. Everyone was very quick to correct me, and I mean the locals not the people at the medical school. I think the pronunciation does matter, at least around here.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03