How is sperm made? REGARDS TO GENE COUNT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSaiyan3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is in regards to spermatogenesis.

When does the diploid (46 chromosome) sperm become a haploid?

From my physiology notes, I've got the process as:

1. spermatogonia (diploid = 46 chromosomes) undergoes cell division to primary spermatocyte (still diploid).
2. P. sperm undergoes meiosis I to secondary spermatocyte (still diploid = 46 chromosomes).
3. S. sperm undergoes meiosis II to spermatid (now my sperm is haploid = 23 chromosomes).

BUT. In accordance with wikipedia's notions:

"In spermatocytogenesis, a diploid spermatogonium which resides in the basal compartment of seminiferous tubules, divides mitotically to produce two diploid intermediate cell called a primary spermatocyte. Each primary spermatocyte then moves into the adluminal compartment of the seminiferous tubules and duplicates its DNA and subsequently undergoes meiosis I to produce two haploid secondary spermatocytes."

Wikipedia pretty much says that the gene count goes down to 23 at the SECONDARY spermatocyte, which contradicts my notes.

Can anybody verify this?

Share the wealth. Spread the jizz.
- SS3 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

1. spermatogonia (diploid = 46 chromosomes) undergoes cell division to primary spermatocyte (still diploid).

- 46 chromosomes: 92 chromaTIDs

2. P. sperm undergoes meiosis I to secondary spermatocyte (becomes haploid = 23 chromosomes).

- 23 chromosomes : 46 chromaTIDs

3. S. sperm undergoes meiosis II to spermatid (still haploid= 23 chromosomes).

- 23 chromosomes: 23 chromatids

Boo-ya.

Just answered my own question. Turns out I was confused by the difference between CHROMOSOMES and CHROMATIDS. Better watch out for this terminology on test day kids. The MCAT Boogie-Man will get you...

you're welcome. :luck: