SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How is taking a pre-req for CR/NCR and then retaking it viewed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by biogirl215, May 6, 2007.

1. biogirl215

biogirl215 2+ Year Member

May 1, 2007
    Hello,
    I took Gen Chem I. credit/no credit this semester (didn't want to deal with the GPA of a C-C+). Since then, I've decided I really do want to leave the opportunities open to go into a medical school profession and am planning to retake. Assuming I get a good grade at the retake, how will the CR/NCR be viewed by admission commities since there is no actual intial grade?

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    What will it say on your transcript? I dont understand why you would take a course and opt not to have a grade, unless you knew ahead of time you were going to do poorly.

Personally I would ask why you took Chemistry twice.

4. biogirl215

May 1, 2007
    It will say "CR" (basically, a "pass" in our version of "pass/fail," not used in institutional GPA calculations). We could opt for CR/NCR grading any time before finals week, I was (am, I guess?) on track to get a "C" or "C+" and didn't want it to destroy my 3.75 GPA, had doubts about the field, etc., so I decided to take CR/NCR and save myself a lot of panic. Now, I realized that I made a mistake and will retake, but I'm wondering how a retake with no actual grade the forst time around will be viewed.

Thanks!

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    I understand now.

Well...you will be retaking it anyway, so thats good. Hopefully next time around it will help your GPA.

I say just be honest. You took the course but you didnt have the ability to devote as much time to it as you previously thought and decided to take a no-credit.

You really just audited the course.

I dont think it will be an issue. they may not even notice

Good luck

6. biogirl215

May 1, 2007
    Thanks for the reply! Actually, unless I unexpectedly bomb the final tomorrow, I should be technically be getting credit for the course. I was trying to take it on a 19 credit load while pledging a sorority.... Stupid in hindsight, I know, but I think I learned from my poor planning. I'm doing well in everything else, though, and I think I should be on track to get around 3.75-ish for the semester (but who really knows until finals?), so this semester wasn't a total disaster GPA-wise, I guess.