How is the ASA helping new grads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecCA1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
CRNAs are multiplying at a great rate. The AANA actively pursued legislation (and got it) that prevents attendings from being paid more than 50% for each room they suprervise. There are plans in mutiple states to decrease suprervision by MDs of CRNAs. Pain management is being infiltrated by nurses as well.

What the **** is the ASA doing about this? Why are the top members allowing MORE CRNAs to be trained when they know what it is doing to the future of the field?

Is the fact that most of them will be retired before the chickens come home to roost a factor in this blatant sell-out?

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly would you like them to do with YOUR money? Waste more time in congress beating their ignorant heads against the wall? Or would you prefer some sort of public education campaign like myself? The ASA is out of touch.

CRNAs are multiplying at a great rate. The AANA actively pursued legislation (and got it) that prevents attendings from being paid more than 50% for each room they suprervise. There are plans in mutiple states to decrease suprervision by MDs of CRNAs. Pain management is being infiltrated by nurses as well.

What the **** is the ASA doing about this? Why are the top members allowing MORE CRNAs to be trained when they know what it is doing to the future of the field?

Is the fact that most of them will be retired before the chickens come home to roost a factor in this blatant sell-out?

The AANA lobbied against increasing anesthesia attending reimbursements and also introduced their own bill H.R 6184. This bill was supposed to achieve 100% reimbursements for supervision of residents and nursing students.
Medicare ignored it and did nothing about it.
At this point it seems that medicare does not think anesthesia is worth much whether administered by a physician or a nurse anesthetist.

http://www.aana.com/Advocacy.aspx?u...MenuTargetType=4&ucNavMenu_TSMenuID=6&id=5014

As far as the leadership goes, they are selling us out.

Members don't see this ad :)

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. When it comes to $$$$ the academic chairs are no different than any private practice Group. They want the money the SRNA's generate for the program. They don't want to make "waves" with the Nursing School and the CEO of the hospital. In short, it is much easier and more beneficial $$$ to go along with the CRNA training program. Some Chairs justify this action by limiting Regional and didactics to Residents/Fellows. Big deal. The AANA will never let the lawyers at the State and Federal level know this. They claim "equivalence" and training at YOUR Academic program only adds fuel to the fire.

Do You want to know the real reason we are losing the war with the AANA? look in the mirror and you will find the answer. Every one of us is in one way or the other a direct or indirect contributor to the CRNA problem in the U.S. including me. Residents are at fault for not banding together via the web and making this ISSUE NUMBER ONE on their agenda. Private Practice Groups/members are at fault for hiring the CRNA's to cover the ACT model.
But most of all, the blame for the CRNA problem lies with the leadership and academic chairs. They can make a difference in which Mid-Level Provider they support for Anesthesia Education: AA Students. The answer has been in front of the leadership for the past thirty years. As a specialty, we have had decades to change from a CRNA ACT model to an AA ACT model. But, the will to action (apathy) was not there because Anesthesiology was lucrative. Slowly, the AANA continues to gain ground and we are helping them to do it by training SRNA's at our universities.

Regardless of whether you agree with me on this issue CRNA's like Trinity and Cowboy are telling you the same thing: CRNA's are practicing SOLO and the AANA wants more of it. So, keep pretending University CRNA programs are not the problem because your leadership likes it that way.

Dude, is that a change of view for you?

I like the vehicle but I am not too thrilled with the driver based on what I am seeing. I would like to see a new driver.

I will always be a member but they need to open their ears to their constituency and the leadership needs to stop treating/using this organization as their personal club.

I like the vehicle but I am not too thrilled with the driver based on what I am seeing. I would like to see a new driver.

I will always be a member but they need to open their ears to their constituency and the leadership needs to stop treating/using this organization as their personal club.

The original post was "How is the ASA helping new grads?"

Answer: It isn't.

They are selling you down the river without a paddle. The reason is the status-quo is easy and doesn't make any waves. CRNA's still provide cost effective Anesthesia and Residents are great slave labor. Why rock the boat for you? It is much easier to pocket the cash and ride the wave while it lasts.
How does this help you? It doesn't.

This is slightly off topic, but I was wondering if you residents and attendings think it is worthwhile to join ASA as a med student. Thanks in advance.

This is slightly off topic, but I was wondering if you residents and attendings think it is worthwhile to join ASA as a med student. Thanks in advance.

Yes. Also, I am an active contributor to my State and Federal ASA PAC.
The fact I am unhappy with the current direction of the ASA doesn't change the need to contribute money to sustain the specialty.

Yes. Also, I am an active contributor to my State and Federal ASA PAC.
The fact I am unhappy with the current direction of the ASA doesn't change the need to contribute money to sustain the specialty.

How else do you get the message to them that they are not cutting it? In 10 yrs I have seen no improvement. We have lost ground on every front. Were would we be if Al Gore or John Kerry had won?