How is the Journal of Surgical Research viewed in surgical fields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may have the opportunity to have coauthorship in a paper in this journal and am curious as to how it is viewed in surgical fields (ex. general surgery)? I looked up its impact factor and it appears sort of low but I don't know if this is misleading or not. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard of it, but have never seen it anywhere in the medical library in med school or residency. I suppose it's more important to say that it's never come up in any PubMed or Medline search I've ever done that I can remember.

Is that, like, one of those nursing "journals?" Like "Advance for Nurses?"

I've only heard of it because my former residency Department Chair (Wiley "Chip" Souba) is one of the editors and our library carried it.

Unlike CV, I have had it come up on Medline searches, but I do agree with him that its probably a journal that most residents have never heard of and does not have the impact of say JACS, Annals, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a fairly new journal so it's impact factor is going to be lower as a function of how the impact factor is calculated. (it takes into account number of citations and half life of citations, new journal generally is going to suffer from both). Also surgical journal tend to run a lower impact factor. Few surgical journals are >4 because of the narrower field.

It is the official journal for the Association for Academic Surgeons so it goes to a lot of people who care about research. However, it certainly isn't in the same league as Annals. Probably not to the level of JACS, Surgery, Archives, or even AJS in terms of general surgery appeal since it has tended to be basic science oriented in the past and that's going to limit readership.

Having said that, any publication is a good idea. You can't be too choosy until maybe you are an associate professor or higher. All pubs help.

I've got a publication in that journal. it's good for basic science type research that just isn't strong enough/trendy enough/important enough to get into one of the big clinical journals.

Basically you start high and lower your standards as you get rejected! That's how it works. If your paper gets accepted first try then you probably didn't aim high enough!

:thumbup:
I've got a publication in that journal. it's good for basic science type research that just isn't strong enough/trendy enough/important enough to get into one of the big clinical journals.

Basically you start high and lower your standards as you get rejected! That's how it works. If your paper gets accepted first try then you probably didn't aim high enough!

It's a good journal. Last I checked its impact factor was 1 point something... which is weak in general but moderate for surgery considering the best journal for surgery is the Annals of Surgery and they are only 6 point something now.

Academic surgeons pay attention to that journal btw... relatively young academic surgeons and some older academic surgeons. When I say academic surgeons, I dont mean surgeons of a university... I mean ones that try to be part of the teaching process for medical students and sometimes part of the teaching process for residents.

Journal of surgical research is not a new journal. Its been around for at least 14 years, our lab has them dating back to 1994. In medicine the highest impact factor is NEJM, but rarely does that have any basic science research published. Annals of Surgery is the best for surgery. From the Impact factor list I have in the lab (2004) JSR is ranked 36th for surgery but several above it are specialty journals like Endoscopy, Liver Transplant, Laser Surgery, ect. Most surgeons in acedemics know of the journal, but I would guess that the readership would be small. Its definately worth publishing in.

I may have the opportunity to have coauthorship in a paper in this journal and am curious as to how it is viewed in surgical fields (ex. general surgery)? I looked up its impact factor and it appears sort of low but I don't know if this is misleading or not. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

In the end, this is where your paper got accepted and this is where it'll be published, right?

Can't hurt to have this under your belt. Don't worry about the journal's impact factor - it is what it is.

I stand corrected. That's what I get for writing without looking up the actual date. It's not ancient like Annals of Surgery, but it is almost 50 years old. Must have been a brain hiccup on my end. I must have been thinking about a different journal. The rest of it is true though. AAS publishes their stuff through it, and quite frankly, a publication anywhere helps for all but the higher end attendings.

Mostly to echo the above, JSR is largely read by surgeons who have basic science labs or who do clinical surgical research. It does not have the impact of the AACR journals for basic science, but is recognized as a reasonable place to publish, especially for residents and new investigators. The AAS publishes in it, and this is a great networking organization for people looking to connect with other people in their field (fellowship directors, surgeon PI's, etc.).