How is the social atmosphere in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAman10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how med school is in the social sense. I mean, you're in a 100-person class, taking all the same courses, seeing a lot of each other while you're studying or in class or whatever... it seems like med students should get pretty close with each other. Does this actually happen? do they all go and hang out with each other and stuff like that? I'm an engineering major, and we pretty much have the same situation, where we're in a relatively small class size (<100, which is small at my large state school), and we are all in the same classes and study with each other and do homework together and even hang out with each other and celebrate end of midterms and whatnot together. It seems like medical school would have the same type of atmosphere, but does it really?

Members don't see this ad.

Very cliquey.
You'll figure out who your actual group of friends are after getting to know everyone superficially. Then, you mostly study/grab food with those friends, but you (should) be able to stay friendly with everyone :)

I think it also depends on class size. Some schools have class sizes that are smaller than 100, where you probably have the opportunity to get to know everyone a little bit more. If a school has a larger class size, friends might be more grouped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Previous threads on this topic have mostly said med school resembles high school.

how bad are we talking? Like lots of people spreading rumors? People using yik yak? gossipy?

The social atmosphere is closer to that of high school than it is of college, from my observation. It isn't bad, it just is what it is.

Ya'll realize this is a necro-thread right?

Reactions: 2 users