How is your school handling upcoming rotations?

joeception

2+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2017
  1. Medical Student
Out of curiosity how is everyone's schools handling limited rotation availability? Although my school is allowing us to start rotations not everyone was able to have all of their required rotations filled and are being placed on online rotations for those spots. I guess it just kind of disappointing to not even to be able to have the same clinical exposure as some fellow classmates who do have a full years worth of rotations.

I understand COVID has brought many difficulties but I think it is a bit different if everyone is on online rotations versus only having some of the class citing availability issues.

Chibucks15

5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2016
  1. Resident [Any Field]
They’re offering a ton of online ones, are putting students wherever they can, as well as lowering our required in person weeks to 8 weeks per semester. This is also in Iowa so not as hard hit and a lot less students overall

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Knight in shining armor

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2018
Some of my classmates began their fourth year rotations last week. Our school is offering online rotations for those unable to get in person rotations. Our school wants us to get as many in person as we can, including getting as many auditions as we can. Personally, start an elective in Virginia in 4 weeks and thento Iowa and Arkansas for the rest of the semester and then back to Virginia. Not ideal (traveling too much for my taste) but I will be able to see real patients and graduate on time, which makes me happy.

hungrydoc710

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2019
Southeast
  1. Medical Student
Charleston, SC here.

We are good to go in person rotations start Aug 3rd, albeit some hospital systems aren't allowing us in, so we've had to travel a bit further for the inpatient rotations (IM-1, OB, GS).

Nothing online, thank god.

Last edited:

calivianya

2+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2017
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
We’ve gotten our dates delayed twice and different hospitals have different policies. Some of the local hospitals are not accepting students until at least October. My site is actively taking students already but I was not allowed to join them because we still have to finish things from the end of second year. That also keeps being delayed.

They keep promising some online rotations but they haven’t delivered yet.

Sort of bums me out that students from other schools that are using my site have already started but I’m not allowed to.

iforget2

7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2012
  1. Medical Student
The lazy part of me has been enjoying our online IM rotation, which could easily be done spending 1 hour/day throughout the 4 weeks. Unfortunately it really doesn't feel like I'm learning anything, and will probably get wrecked once we do start going back to hospitals.

getfat

IM Resident
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
SE
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hospital Dependent.
For third years, Some places started taking student back in July. Others have had to take online electives. Were working on a month to month basis.
For 4th years, find whatever you can. They have online rotations you can take if you can't secure any in-person rotation. They emphasize in person rotation because the online-component will be noted on your transcript.

OverlyRomantic

5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2015
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Our school let us back at the end of June. There are some rotations where we have less access than before (due to the hospital's new policies), but other than that it is the same. They have also set up 2 online electives for us to take any month we want (optional) if we want a break from the hospital and/or need to study for boards!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.