How late is it to apply now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PDg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's late, I just need to know if it would be severely detrimental or if I should wait another year.

I would be a reapplicant this year and I applied last year only to my 2 state schools because I unfortunately had both of my science LOR writers fall through severely limiting my school options. This year I have received 2 academic LOR and can therefore apply to a lot of schools. The reason I have not submitted my application was because I was only able to retake my MCAT in late July and I was convinced that I did not do well...thankfully I was wrong. My MCAT went from 508 (79%): lowest= CARS @ 124 --> 514 (92%): lowest =CARS @126, rest >128, with no decrease in any subsection from 1st test. I also added 3 new volunteer positions (1 clinical, 2 community) and continued working.

The possible red flag part of my application: I have ~10 withdrawals from the first couple of years of college. Most are medical and I will explain in my personal statement. After taking my 2nd complete medical withdrawal from college I returned and complete 2 years and >80 credits with no withdrawals and a 4.0. I have received mixed messages about how devastating this is to my application.

Here are the rest of my stats:
Nontraditional: not URM
cGPA and sGPA: ~3.9
LOR: strong: employers, volunteer/research supervisors, 2 academic

Activities:
Nonmedical Employment:
1. >5 years property management, part time
2. >5 years office work part time to full time

Medical Employment:
3. >2 year ER scribe, 16-20 hours a week, >2000+hours

Nonmedical Volunteering:
4. 2 years, >200 hours working with elementary students with learning disabilities
5. 1.5 years >100 hours well known organization (new this cycle)
6. 1 year >100 hours another well known organization (new this cycle)

Medical Volunteering:
7. >2 years, >250+ hours at children's hospital
8. 1 summer, ~50 hours at chemotherapy out-patient facility
9. 1 summer, ~50 hours at another hospital (new this cycle)

Research:
10. 1 year, >200 hours at psych lab, no publications/presentations
11. 2 year >150 hours for school psych, no publications/presentations

Shadowing:
12. ER + pediatrics + family medicine clinic >2000 hours (scribe job)

Other:
13. hobbies

Final questions:
1. Is it too late to apply? I will have my personal statement and rest of my AMCAS ready to submit within the week. How bad would it look to apply for a 3rd cycle? I would submit immediately next year.
2. How detrimental do you think the withdrawals will be?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i would personally wait till next year in your situation

if your primary was also verified then i'd say you could give it a go if you finish secondaries by the end of this week

i would personally wait till next year in your situation

if your primary was also verified then i'd say you could give it a go if you finish secondaries by the end of this week

AMCAS verifications are only taking about ~3 weeks now. If I submit in the next 5 days and then prewrite my secondary essays you think that it would be detrimental to be complete with schools by the end of September?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS verifications are only taking about ~3 weeks now. If I submit in the next 5 days and then prewrite my secondary essays you think that it would be detrimental to be complete with schools by the end of September?

If you have the funds to apply this cycle and possible next cycle then you could try, I personally sent in most of secondaries over the past week and I still feel late against other applicants

What state are you from?
Do you have a meaningful activity over the gap year in case you need to reapply?

If you have the funds to apply this cycle and possible next cycle then you could try, I personally sent in most of secondaries over the past week and I still feel late against other applicants

What state are you from?
Do you have a meaningful activity over the gap year in case you need to reapply?

I am from Arizona. I am currently working the 3 part time jobs that I documented above along with 3 volunteer activities that are important to me. My plan was to try and find another clinical and/or tutoring job. I am not sure what "meaningful activities" would boost my application for the next cycle. I have always followed my interests with my employment and volunteering. Is there anywhere that you think I am lacking?

I am from Arizona. I am currently working the 3 part time jobs that I documented above along with 3 volunteer activities that are important to me. My plan was to try and find another clinical and/or tutoring job. I am not sure what "meaningful activities" would boost my application for the next cycle. I have always followed my interests with my employment and volunteering. Is there anywhere that you think I am lacking?

did you apply to Arizona phoenix and tucson last cycle? if yes then you should call them and ask for your feedback
those schools are probably your best shot considering your withdrawal situation and the fact that its late to send in your primary now

either way, i suggest sending your primary to one school right now for verification while you make an informed decision on whether you want to go through this cycle or wait for the next

did you apply to Arizona phoenix and tucson last cycle? if yes then you should call them and ask for your feedback
those schools are probably your best shot considering your withdrawal situation and the fact that its late to send in your primary now

either way, i suggest sending your primary to one school right now for verification while you make an informed decision on whether you want to go through this cycle or wait for the next

I was actually able to speak to the Phoenix campus about my application and they said the only red flag was the withdrawals and that I should address it in the personal statement or secondary essays. I originally discussed it in my personal statement, but the consensus was that I should discuss it more, which is why I am currently rewriting my personal statement. The plan was to be done by the end of the week and submit, but I am still concerned that it is "too late" this cycle. I have heard mixed things about being a reapplicant for a 3rd time and don't know if its better to take another gap year so that I will only be applying twice.

I was actually able to speak to the Phoenix campus about my application and they said the only red flag was the withdrawals and that I should address it in the personal statement or secondary essays. I originally discussed it in my personal statement, but the consensus was that I should discuss it more, which is why I am currently rewriting my personal statement. The plan was to be done by the end of the week and submit, but I am still concerned that it is "too late" this cycle. I have heard mixed things about being a reapplicant for a 3rd time and don't know if its better to take another gap year so that I will only be applying twice.

i think for the AZ schools you might be safe, just make sure the PS is high quality for your situation

i'm in similar position you since i applied last year without knowing my mcat score and therefore I am a reapplicant this cycle too, I thought about waiting another year to but i dont know what else I could do to improve my app (ive already improved my mcat and gpa over the past year and did some pretty legit research with pubs + presentations) so i thought id give it a go this cycle, i also applied to DO schools and i encourage you to do the same if you dont want to be applying for a third time...for me a DO acceptance >> going through a 3rd app cycle

i think for the AZ schools you might be safe, just make sure the PS is high quality for your situation

i'm in similar position you since i applied last year without knowing my mcat score and therefore I am a reapplicant this cycle too, I thought about waiting another year to but i dont know what else I could do to improve my app (ive already improved my mcat and gpa over the past year and did some pretty legit research with pubs + presentations) so i thought id give it a go this cycle, i also applied to DO schools and i encourage you to do the same if you dont want to be applying for a third time...for me a DO acceptance >> going through a 3rd app cycle

Thanks for all of your advice! I think I may apply this year and then if I have to apply for a 3rd cycle I will include both MD/DO schools. Good luck this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users