Sartre79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
629
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I ask because I'm waiting on some LOR and $$$ to free up (est. next week looks like). When is it considered "late" for submitting secondary apps?
 

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
11,826
56
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
depends on the school, but rule of thumb is to have it, at the absolute latest sent in a month or two before its deadline. This is if and only if you cannot submit it the second you get em.
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey Sartre, I've been using the two week rule. I get paid every other week. Works good. :)
 

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
763
0
34
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
Sartre79 said:
I ask because I'm waiting on some LOR and $$$ to free up (est. next week looks like). When is it considered "late" for submitting secondary apps?

i'm right there with ya. i am waiting on 1 last LOR. it is frustrating having filled out the app and then having to wait for the prof. when i read about all these people being complete (even worse, getting interviews), it makes me do the freak out premed thing and think i am behind. *sigh* i know that didn't really help, but good luck :luck: :luck:
 

TMP-SMX

Senior Member
Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
3,769
124
Status
Attending Physician
spospo said:
i'm right there with ya. i am waiting on 1 last LOR. it is frustrating having filled out the app and then having to wait for the prof. when i read about all these people being complete (even worse, getting interviews), it makes me do the freak out premed thing and think i am behind. *sigh* i know that didn't really help, but good luck :luck: :luck:
Don't worry... I'm in the same boat as you. One professor has a class this summer and it's hard to meet with him.

I figure if the recommendations are sent out by next week I'll be happy. I will submit all of my secondaries I have so far before next Monday.
 

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
290
1
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
I know people who filled in their applications way late and still made it. Sure it probably helps to get it in earlier, but a strong app is still a strong app. Just try to get things in as soon as you are able to. That's about as much as you can do anyway right?
 

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
763
0
34
The 'kane
Status
Medical Student
i still wouldn't consider us "late" though. not even by SDN standards. if this were late september, that would be a different story. i think we are just fine, we have some things turned in. we have letters lined up. and we are still ahead of all the august MCATers (don't take that personally all of you out there, i'm just staying it). :D
 

cdngirl80

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
79
0
Status
spospo said:
i'm right there with ya. i am waiting on 1 last LOR. it is frustrating having filled out the app and then having to wait for the prof. when i read about all these people being complete (even worse, getting interviews), it makes me do the freak out premed thing and think i am behind. *sigh* i know that didn't really help, but good luck :luck: :luck:

I totally understand the feeling and when I keep reading about how much progress people have made with their application it freaks me out.

I've been trying to get my master's supervisor to write me a letter of reference for 2months now. Everytime I email him he's like sorry for the delay I'll get right on it. NOw though he's totally stopped responding to my emails and it sucks cause I'm here in the US and he's in Canada so its not like I can hunt him down cause he's 9hours away. The crappy thing too is that I'd write him off because I have enough letters but unfortunately this is the one that I need cause everyone requires a letter from your grad advisor..
 
OP
Sartre79

Sartre79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
629
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
One of my letter authors was supposed to get it done before he went to Japan for 3 weeks...oops..he forgot.
 

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
4,259
1
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
Robizzle said:
Yea this is definitely not late. But I can't wait until September when new premeds join this forum and ask the same question and we can finally say YES YOU ARE LATE!
n00bs! GTFO!
 

hermit

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
549
2
Status
Medical Student
I've always wondered...why do you all wait until the last minute to get these letters...haven't you known for a few years that you will be needing LOR's by June of '07?
 
OP
Sartre79

Sartre79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
629
1
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hermit said:
I've always wondered...why do you all wait until the last minute to get these letters...haven't you known for a few years that you will be needing LOR's by June of '07?

Sometimes life doesn't go as easily as planned.
 

cdngirl80

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
79
0
Status
Actually I approached these people back in March and then sent them everything at the end of May and figured one month was enough time. My other 4 references got everything in within the month and its just this one guy who's taking his sweet @ss time. The thing too is that its not like this guy has a reputation for screwing people over which is what i find suprising that he's being like this.
 

keepdreaming

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2006
157
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Sartre79 said:
One of my letter authors was supposed to get it done before he went to Japan for 3 weeks...oops..he forgot.
I asked my letter writer months ago. I finally called early july to ask what was the delay and his secretary told me he went on vacation. wtf? and then she asked me if i could get someone else to write it since he's gone. after much sniffling she offered to track him down and i got in in 7ish days. i dunno if i should be grateful he wrote it or angry because he almost gave me a heart attack :confused:
 

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,510
4
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Robizzle said:
Yea this is definitely not late. But I can't wait until September when new premeds join this forum and ask the same question and we can finally say YES YOU ARE LATE!
OH MY GOD. You guys, are we totally going to terrorize the August MCAT'ers or what? :smuggrin: Seriously, if anyone is stupid enough to ask if late Sept/Oct is late, they deserve what they get. For rizzle.
 

joanofarc0907

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
550
3
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jackieMD2007 said:
OH MY GOD. You guys, are we totally going to terrorize the August MCAT'ers or what? :smuggrin: Seriously, if anyone is stupid enough to ask if late Sept/Oct is late, they deserve what they get. For rizzle.

Agreed. Nothing now is late compared to the fact that people may not even submit AMCAS until they get their August scores in OCTOBER!! They will deserve to be terrorized for making us relive all the secondaries when we have all moved on to interview stress.
 

Dr.CRAB

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
52
1
Status
keepdreaming said:
I asked my letter writer months ago. I finally called early july to ask what was the delay and his secretary told me he went on vacation. wtf? and then she asked me if i could get someone else to write it since he's gone. after much sniffling she offered to track him down and i got in in 7ish days. i dunno if i should be grateful he wrote it or angry because he almost gave me a heart attack :confused:
you should be hoping he didnt f**k you over and write you a bad letter due to your constant pestering,,,, :sleep: