How late is late for secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre79

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ask because I'm waiting on some LOR and $$$ to free up (est. next week looks like). When is it considered "late" for submitting secondary apps?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on the school, but rule of thumb is to have it, at the absolute latest sent in a month or two before its deadline. This is if and only if you cannot submit it the second you get em.

Hey Sartre, I've been using the two week rule. I get paid every other week. Works good. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sartre79 said:
I ask because I'm waiting on some LOR and $$$ to free up (est. next week looks like). When is it considered "late" for submitting secondary apps?

i'm right there with ya. i am waiting on 1 last LOR. it is frustrating having filled out the app and then having to wait for the prof. when i read about all these people being complete (even worse, getting interviews), it makes me do the freak out premed thing and think i am behind. *sigh* i know that didn't really help, but good luck :luck: :luck:

spospo said:
i'm right there with ya. i am waiting on 1 last LOR. it is frustrating having filled out the app and then having to wait for the prof. when i read about all these people being complete (even worse, getting interviews), it makes me do the freak out premed thing and think i am behind. *sigh* i know that didn't really help, but good luck :luck: :luck:

Don't worry... I'm in the same boat as you. One professor has a class this summer and it's hard to meet with him.

I figure if the recommendations are sent out by next week I'll be happy. I will submit all of my secondaries I have so far before next Monday.

I know people who filled in their applications way late and still made it. Sure it probably helps to get it in earlier, but a strong app is still a strong app. Just try to get things in as soon as you are able to. That's about as much as you can do anyway right?

i still wouldn't consider us "late" though. not even by SDN standards. if this were late september, that would be a different story. i think we are just fine, we have some things turned in. we have letters lined up. and we are still ahead of all the august MCATers (don't take that personally all of you out there, i'm just staying it). :D

spospo said:

I totally understand the feeling and when I keep reading about how much progress people have made with their application it freaks me out.

I've been trying to get my master's supervisor to write me a letter of reference for 2months now. Everytime I email him he's like sorry for the delay I'll get right on it. NOw though he's totally stopped responding to my emails and it sucks cause I'm here in the US and he's in Canada so its not like I can hunt him down cause he's 9hours away. The crappy thing too is that I'd write him off because I have enough letters but unfortunately this is the one that I need cause everyone requires a letter from your grad advisor..

One of my letter authors was supposed to get it done before he went to Japan for 3 weeks...oops..he forgot.

Yea this is definitely not late. But I can't wait until September when new premeds join this forum and ask the same question and we can finally say YES YOU ARE LATE!

How fast do you have to run to get away from a cheetah? Just faster than the other people.

Same applies for med school. The earlier the better. Although admissions are not rolling interview slots are...

Robizzle said:
Yea this is definitely not late. But I can't wait until September when new premeds join this forum and ask the same question and we can finally say YES YOU ARE LATE!

n00bs! GTFO!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always wondered...why do you all wait until the last minute to get these letters...haven't you known for a few years that you will be needing LOR's by June of '07?

hermit said:
I've always wondered...why do you all wait until the last minute to get these letters...haven't you known for a few years that you will be needing LOR's by June of '07?

Sometimes life doesn't go as easily as planned.

Actually I approached these people back in March and then sent them everything at the end of May and figured one month was enough time. My other 4 references got everything in within the month and its just this one guy who's taking his sweet @ss time. The thing too is that its not like this guy has a reputation for screwing people over which is what i find suprising that he's being like this.

Sartre79 said:
One of my letter authors was supposed to get it done before he went to Japan for 3 weeks...oops..he forgot.

I asked my letter writer months ago. I finally called early july to ask what was the delay and his secretary told me he went on vacation. wtf? and then she asked me if i could get someone else to write it since he's gone. after much sniffling she offered to track him down and i got in in 7ish days. i dunno if i should be grateful he wrote it or angry because he almost gave me a heart attack :confused:

Robizzle said:

OH MY GOD. You guys, are we totally going to terrorize the August MCAT'ers or what? :smuggrin: Seriously, if anyone is stupid enough to ask if late Sept/Oct is late, they deserve what they get. For rizzle.

jackieMD2007 said:
OH MY GOD. You guys, are we totally going to terrorize the August MCAT'ers or what? :smuggrin: Seriously, if anyone is stupid enough to ask if late Sept/Oct is late, they deserve what they get. For rizzle.

Agreed. Nothing now is late compared to the fact that people may not even submit AMCAS until they get their August scores in OCTOBER!! They will deserve to be terrorized for making us relive all the secondaries when we have all moved on to interview stress.

keepdreaming said:
I asked my letter writer months ago. I finally called early july to ask what was the delay and his secretary told me he went on vacation. wtf? and then she asked me if i could get someone else to write it since he's gone. after much sniffling she offered to track him down and i got in in 7ish days. i dunno if i should be grateful he wrote it or angry because he almost gave me a heart attack :confused:

you should be hoping he didnt f**k you over and write you a bad letter due to your constant pestering,,,, :sleep: