How late is late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny12johnny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can understand that it's better to apply early than late for schools with rolling admissions; I'm just not sure what 'late' means.

When do/did most people finally submit their secondaries?

-J12J

Members don't see this ad.

Most MSTP programs do not have rolling admissions (though a few do), which is good. But, on the other hand, many MSTP app deadlines are earlier than the MD deadlines at the respective schools. In other words... do it ASAP!!

I didn't realize that most MSTPs weren't rolling; that is good news.

I finished my last secondary in late September (~25), and I am just curious if that would be considered an average submission time, toward the late end, toward the early end...?

I feel bad posting this question, because it really is not prticularly important. I just hear everybody talk about early and late applications, and I don't know what the timeline is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Johnny,

Sorry if I sounded rude, of course your question is important. I thought perhaps you hadn't applied yet! If you sent in all your apps in September, you're fine! I sent in apps all the way from July to just the other day.

Where did you apply? What are your top picks? Have you gotten any interview invitations yet?

Welcome to the SDN, and good luck! Keep us posted.

-CaNEM

I applied to a bunch of MD/PhD programs all over the country (Emory, Duke, Stanford, JHU, Tulane, Harvard, Yale, Tufts, UChicago, UPenn). I think that I will need to visit the schools to figure out a top choice, though.

On ~ 10/2 I received a call from a lady in the MSTP office at UChicago to invite me to have dinner with an MD/PhD Professor who will be in my area. I don't think that this is an actual 'interview,' though I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The guy does really interesting research, so it should be fun to talk with him. Also, at about the same time that I heard from UChicago, I was invited to interview at Duke.

Ironically, Duke and UChicago happened to be the last two secondaries that I completed but were the first--and so far only--schools to contact me for interviews.

All of the information on the SDN has been great--thanks!

Well, congrats on your Duke interview. Let us know how your dinner with the U Chicago prof goes. We have a thread for listing interviews too. Hollar if you have any questions!

In response to your question, I am actually still submitting secondaries at this point in time. (Just to let you know that other people are submitting after you.)

even tho some schools are not rolling, many are. and even those that aren't rolling, there are limited space for interview slots. I recommend going on interview to a place you like as early as possible...

At this level, everything is so insanely competitive just a slip could cost you seven years of heaven. and timing is everything

(am i just insane or what) ;)

Originally posted by sluox

(am i just insane or what) ;)

hmmm...if you want the answer to this, it might not be wise to ask us...after all, if you are insane, then SDN_MSTP is prolly the lunatic asylum ;)