How late is late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Submitting Secodaries

• August

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Early Sept

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Mid Sept

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Late Sept

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Oct

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters

DirtyJustice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How late is too late?

Members don't see this ad.

Late is submitting a secondary any more than 24 hours after you recieved it, 48 hours at the most. However, this rule is based on the assumption that you submitted your primary in June and recieved the secondary in early july.

If you submitted your primary in july then you absolutely must complete the secondary the same day you recieve it, preferably within 6 hours.

If you submitted your primary in August then your secondary is late before it arrives and they are only sending it to you to get your money.

Sorry if its bad news for you, but they do warn pre-meds to apply early.

When it comes to med school applications the old military saying applies:

If your early your on time, if your on time your late, if your late your ****ed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Late is submitting a secondary any more than 24 hours after you recieved it, 48 hours at the most. However, this rule is based on the assumption that you submitted your primary in June and recieved the secondary in early july.

If you submitted your primary in july then you absolutely must complete the secondary the same day you recieve it, preferably within 6 hours.

If you submitted your primary in August then your secondary is late before it arrives and they are only sending it to you to get your money.

If your early your on time, if your on time your late, if your late your ****ed.

How are you supposed to have a well thought out, insightful response in 1 day? even less 6 hours?

It is important that you take your time and have multiple people read your responses.

How are you supposed to have a well thought out, insightful response in 1 day? even less 6 hours?

It is important that you take your time and have multiple people read your responses.

I completely agree with that. I think even 3-5 days is fine.

Too late is after the deadline passes. I just submitted my last secondary today (Duke... that was a killer). All we ever hear is that "you need to apply early", but my AMCAS wasn't verified until the middle of September, I took about a week between getting secondaries to submitting them (besides this last one), and I'm starting to get interview invites. If you have a good application, a medical school is going to want you. Yes, submitting late probably does hurt you, but most schools now don't read applications in the order they receive them, they pick the best applicants.

In short... applying late hurts, but I don't think it's ever too late especially if you're a strong applicant at that school.

Please say you forgot the *sarcasm* indicator at the end...

You're waaaay too lenient. I would start from: If you're early, you're ****ed. etc.

refer to my signature.

Last edited:
You're waaaay too lenient. I would start from: If you're early, you're ****ed. etc.

refer to my signature.

+:D

Greatnt249 3 points.

1. Congrats on getting invites after applying so late, BUT keep in mind not all of us are Stat Rock stars like you with 4.0 GPAs and 45 MCATs!

2. I also recieved lots of interviews, in fact from all the schools I applied to (26!). They all went stupendously, I had a great time and everyone I met was wonderful. Guess what, I have heard from 20 schools so far, 19 of them were rejections, all from schools where I was sure I had nailed the interview. Several of the rejection emails were very harsh, claiming that the adcoms would rather consume broken glass that had been smothered in pig **** than even consider me for an acceptance!

The dean of Saint Louis University even came to my house to bitch slap me for even darkening the acceptance desk with my application! (That dude's got way to much time on his hands).

Until you have an acceptance you can't assume you're ok, in fact you must assume you failed and start preping for next year's application.

DirtyJustice, have you finished your 2011 AMCAS yet? No? Well then you are already late for next year's cycle and you know what they say about being late. You're ****ed! Your chances at becoming a doctor are essentially zero! Your entire life has been a waste and all your dreams are DEAD! You will almost certainly walk the streets penniless, a broken man, a shell of your former self. An abandoned husk, friendless and alone, cursed to wander the earth moaning in anguish until you waste away to nothingness and die in the gutter like the mongrel dog that you are!

3. Am I joking? Of course:laugh: Just having some fun joshing my fellow applicants:smuggrin: Is that evil, maybe a little:D But then again most SDNers are a cut above and will get in somewhere, at which point all the neurotacism they went through becomes something to laugh at:laugh: and we can bask in the communal joy and success of our fellow future docs!:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
+:D

Greatnt249 3 points.

1. Congrats on getting invites after applying so late, BUT keep in mind not all of us are Stat Rock stars like you with 4.0 GPAs and 45 MCATs!

Say what? I finished the last of my secondaries in mid-September (despite having submitted my primary in mid-June), and I definitely did not have 4.0/45T.

"Late" depends on the type of schools you're applying to, but a general rule is it's better to be early than late. I see that you're joking now, but there's enough Type-A neuroticism on this site without people getting freaked out that a late-July submission is late.

This is a joke.
Try doing the Duke secondary in 6 hours. :eek:

Possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read on SDN.

Why did all my friends with average stats who submitted secondaries in October all get in then?

late o'clock

late:30 p.m. pacific standard time