How late is now? Or is Patience a Virtue to be rewarded eventually? Please advice...

Should I do....? (Please post why. Thanks.)

  • 1: Try it out this year. (e.g.? may still have chance this year, just reapply if you don't,or?)

    Votes: 20 69.0%
  • 2a: Wait + 1 yr MS (? Late this year anyways/MS program sounds great/No pt to rush with 2b or 1?)

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • 2b: Wait+1.5yrprogram (? don't think so but listing it anyways.)

    Votes: 3 10.3%

  • Total voters
    29

Januine

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
88
0
Status
Please I would really appreciate some advice, I think if I don't get help, I'm gonna go crazy after thinking about these so much in the last few weeks and still having come into no conclusions...

So, first of all, in short, I need to decide whether to:
(1), Apply this cycle (probably will get the essay done by August 1st, or ... latest near the end of August)...
OR
(2) Wait till next year (and (2a) do a 1 year MS program after graduation in Sep2007,
or (2b) rush my courses by taking 6 courses next term and do a 1.5 year MPH program at my school?) ( It's a 2 year program, but that way I think I can finish it sooner, plus if I take some summer courses) (Option 2b - I don't think is that good an idea because I want to have good grades for the 2008 AMCAS, and 6 courses in one term is just not a way to do it, right?)

-----------------
Now the rationales:

If I wait a year, I may also have better chances at my top choices-- because i can retake the MCAT next year if I do poorly this August, and if they see my senior year grades and more ECs along the way, they will see that I'm prepared, because I'm going to take some more advanced level courses, which I'd say I'm quite confident that I can do well in them (well, just I guess not if I do choice (2b) option).

But for the reasons NOT to wait a year, it is first of all, all the extra time and money, and even later to join the work force, and it's not like I haven't identified my goals that I need to wait. Plus, I guess partly beacuse at my home, under the UK system, we could just enter Medicine after grade 13th for the 5 yr program, so this would mean 3+1 further years behind if I wait one more year. So it's not that common to take a year off and my friends from home (plus my mom, the financial supporter) all have the mentality that taking a year off is a sign of weakness, although they don't quite said it out loud that way. To them, they thought I might as well apply back there (I have a higher chance to get in at my local school, tho' US citizen now), especially there is a chance that I may in the end go back and practice. But since where to practice is still uncertain to me, and I thought if I wait, I think I really have the chance to get into one of the top 20s US schools...
-----

I hope I gave the gist of the dilemma that I am in for your to shed some light on what I should do, or what I should be considering in making the choices that I face now. :confused: In particular, do you think it's worth waiting a cycle to gamble my chances of getting into one of the top 20s? Or should I just apply this cycle and try again if I don't get into the top ones?

Thank you so much in advanced for you input.
 

ParvatiP

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
335
0
NY
Status
Medical Student
Januine said:
If I wait a year, I may also have better chances at my top choices-- because i can retake the MCAT next year if I do poorly this August, and if they see my senior year grades and more ECs along the way, they will see that I'm prepared, because I'm going to take some more advanced level courses, which I'd say I'm quite confident that I can do well in them (well, just I guess not if I do choice (2b) option).
So are you retaking the MCAT this August anyway? If you are, then it matters less when you apply this cycle since you won't be complete until October anyway.
 
OP
J

Januine

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
88
0
Status
ParvatiP said:
So are you retaking the MCAT this August anyway? If you are, then it matters less when you apply this cycle since you won't be complete until October anyway.
Hi, first, thanks for your response.
And in related to that... yes, I'm taking this year's August MCAT, but if I complete the AMCAS this July (tho' possibly August), I can still finish the secondaries about on time if they send the invites to me between Aug-Oct, that way once the October score comes, I'd be ready for further reviews as most paperwork is done, and I'd still be not too late in this cycle..
or is submitting AMCAS in August already too late and did you mean that if so, I might as well apply next year?

The re-taking part I meant next Jan through May, since they have the new system and I can retake if I didn't do well this time and it'd be still on time for the next cycle.
 
About the Ads
OP
J

Januine

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
88
0
Status
Januine said:
or is submitting AMCAS in August already too late and did you mean that if so, I might as well apply next year?
p.s. I noticed the polls so far said I should probably try out this year still. Do you mean then that August AMCAS submission isn't too late, or that there's no harm reapplying? or perhaps I should not worry too much about top choices and just save the one year and go to any schools that accept me? Or other reasons?
 

ParvatiP

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
335
0
NY
Status
Medical Student
Januine said:
p.s. I noticed the polls so far said I should probably try out this year still. Do you mean then that August AMCAS submission isn't too late, or that there's no harm reapplying? or perhaps I should not worry too much about top choices and just save the one year and go to any schools that accept me? Or other reasons?
It depends, really. How important is going to a top school for you? If you just care about getting into any school, then I would apply this cycle. Of course, you could always apply, see what happens, and if you don't get in, apply again.
As for submitting AMCAS, yes you should complete it ASAP so you can get secondaries and such, but since you have to wait so long for your MCAT scores anyway, it's not as much a disadvantage for you as for someone who already has their scores.
It's very hard to get into the top 20 schools and even if you wait to apply next year, you still might not get in. And a lot will depend on how strong your MCAT is, since you don't know what you're going to get. Good luck!
 
OP
J

Januine

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
88
0
Status
ParvatiP said:
As for submitting AMCAS, yes you should complete it ASAP so you can get secondaries and such, but since you have to wait so long for your MCAT scores anyway, it's not as much a disadvantage for you as for someone who already has their scores.
How soon are secondaries sent to you after your AMCAS submission? 3weeks? 2? a month?

I think getting into a top program is important to me, but I guess not so much as that it has to be the very top 20s, probably even the top 50s or 60s I will settle for if I get into them this year. But I guess partly is that I know if I do that, as it is very likely the case if I apply this year, I may have a very hard time deciding whether to re-apply again next year, as I know with the effort I'm putting in since this summer through next year, I can be a much better applicant and will have much higher chances at the even better schools... So my question is whether I should just limit the future pain of deciding and meanwhile just focus on my senior coursework and ECs etc. and apply with full force next year, OR, should I just plunge in now, knowing the uncertainties, but with the bet that I may save a year IF I get into somewhere of my choice?
 

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
20,811
102
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
I'm sorry Dr. Januine, but before you resuscitate me, what did US News rank your medical school?

If rankings are that important to you (I really don't think they should be). Wait, build your stats, and apply later. What I think you should do is apply now and see where you wind up.
 

ParvatiP

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
335
0
NY
Status
Medical Student
I would apply this cycle. As depakote said, it doesn't matter too much where you go to med school outside of the top 10 or 20. It is so difficult to get into any med school, really, that ANYONE should just be happy to get in somewhere. All med schools still send top students to the best residencies, etc. So apply and see what happens. Good luck!
 

ParvatiP

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
335
0
NY
Status
Medical Student
Actually, I just looked at your post on the "What are my chances" thread from awhile ago. Honestly, from your stats you do not have a good chance of getting into a top 20 school. You would need to bump your MCAT way up (like 35+, which considering you originally got a 25, seems unlikely). I think most schools will be able to see your first score too, which won't help you. I still think you should apply this cycle though, but realize that it will be very difficult to get into a top school. However, even if you wait until next year, I still doubt you'd get into a top school, therefore it doesn't matter too much. Sorry to have burst your bubble, but you've got to be realistic. Check out mdapps for students with similar stats to you and see where they applied and got in. Once again, good luck!
 
About the Ads