how late is too late to go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ozgur

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I typed the above title in Google search, and it led me here. Am I too old?
I am 28 now, going on 29 this June. I am currently doing IT at a local community college, and was planning to transfer to a 4 year school to get my bachelors. Honestly, my passion since I was kid was medicine.
I had a very tough life, and only now it is getting better. I graduated from high school in 2003, but had to leave my "home country", Iraq, due to an on going civil war. Since 2003, I lived in Turkey as a refugee. Through the UN, I was given a humanitarian visa, by the US government. I entered the US in 2012.
I am doing very well at what I am studying; my GPA so far 3.9, which is fairly high, even in a community college.
My friend put the idea of med school in my head, after I told him that medicine was my passions since I was kid.
I am almost done with my general education, which almost applies for all majors. If change my major to Biology, it would take me 2.5 years to get my bachelors degree. I will be 31/32 when I graduate!
Will I be too old to go to med school at 32?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I am 28 now, going on 29 this June. I am currently doing IT at a local community college, and was planning to transfer to a 4 year school to get my bachelors. Honestly, my passion since I was kid was medicine.
I had a very tough life, and only now it is getting better. I graduated from high school in 2003, but had to leave my "home country", Iraq, due to an on going civil war. Since 2003, I lived in Turkey as a refugee. Through the UN, I was given a humanitarian visa, by the US government. I entered the US in 2012.
I am doing very well at what I am studying; my GPA so far 3.9, which is fairly high, even in a community college.
My friend put the idea of med school in my head, after I told him that medicine was my passions since I was kid.
I am almost done with my general education, which almost applies for all majors. If change my major to

i say stick with your current major and just take the required prereqs for med school in addition to your IT courses. a bio major doesnt really get you many jobs after graduation if med school doesnt work out.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1 users
i say stick with your current major and just take the required prereqs for med school in addition to your IT courses. a bio major doesnt really get you many jobs after graduation if med school doesnt work out.

Hey there and thanks for the feedback. I know bio major on its own is not that glamorous degree.
So, can I enter med school with IT degree and med prereqs?
Also, why would you think that med school won't work? because of the age?
Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the quickest route possible to a bachelors+prereqs. 32 isn't too old to start MS, I'll be 29 when I start and I've seen plenty of stories of people in their mid 30s in MS.

I started med school at 37 after an 11-year career as a PA. I just turned 40 and graduate in 3 wk. nobody believes I'm 40...good genes and keeping active help a LOT. It's doable. First year was hard but maturity helps with perspective. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
You're too old when you're dead. There is a guy in the class before mine that is in his 50s. If he can do it, you can do it. Just make sure that medical school fits your overall goals, and that it will not reduce, rather than increase, your overall happiness when you're finished.

Reactions: 6 users
Two things:

1. You'll need permanent US residency, or you'll have no way to pay for med school. Get that green card.
2. Get straight A's.

Best of luck to you.

Take the quickest route possible to a bachelors+prereqs. 32 isn't too old to start MS, I'll be 29 when I start and I've seen plenty of stories of people in their mid 30s in MS.
Hey there. Thanks for the advice; I will definitely look up to do that

I started med school at 37 after an 11-year career as a PA. I just turned 40 and graduate in 3 wk. nobody believes I'm 40...good genes and keeping active help a LOT. It's doable. First year was hard but maturity helps with perspective. Good luck!
Wow! now this is what I really like to read. I guess it is not that late then :)

You're too old when you're dead. There is a guy in the class before mine that is in his 50s. If he can do it, you can do it. Just make sure that medical school fits your overall goals, and that it will not reduce, rather than increase, your overall happiness when you're finished.
Yep! these stories really cheer my up! even with my current major, I felt kinda I am old but when went to school I saw a lot of non-trad students. just like me! Thanks very much

Two things:

1. You'll need permanent US residency, or you'll have no way to pay for med school. Get that green card.
2. Get straight A's.

Best of luck to you.
Hey there. I am a permanent resident now in the states. I am also planning to get A's, which helps my confidence a lot!
Thank you very much.

Hey there and thanks for the feedback. I know bio major on its own is not that glamorous degree.
So, can I enter med school with IT degree and med prereqs?
Also, why would you think that med school won't work? because of the age?
Thanks again!
yes you can apply to med school with any major as long as you have the required prereqs, etc.

and why i said "incase med school doesnt work out" is in case you don't get in during your first application cycle..then you will need a backup plan, such as a job, research classes, or special masters program, etc

I know someone who went back to med school when he was at least 30. He's a doctor now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!

I am almost done with my general education, which almost applies for all majors. If change my major to Biology, it would take me 2.5 years to get my bachelors degree. I will be 31/32 when I graduate!

Just a quick answer to your question, I am 41 now and will be starting school this fall when I will be 42. So don't panic continue your current plan. Don't get anxious and be stay smart by keeping your grades up for now. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a quick answer to your question, I am 41 now and will be starting school this fall when I will be 42. So don't panic continue your current plan. Don't get anxious and be stay smart by keeping your grades up for now. Good luck.

you're ancient! (j/k...I'm the same age...and I can't believe that I'm supposed to be an "adult" now)

Just a few more stories for you. I'm starting in the Fall, I'm 28, married, with a 1 year old daughter. My best friend is starting in the Fall also. He's 33, married, with FIVE children. No idea what I'll specialize in yet, but my buddy wants to do ortho and sports medicine; so he'll be ~44 when he's a full fledged doctor. Age is far from the last thing keeping you from going to medical school, or having a fulfilling life after.

I would agree with other posters that you are not too old to begin medical school. I will be starting medical in fall and I am going to be in my 30's.

I started med school at 51 and will be starting my residency in June. There is no artificial age cutoff.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh yes you are suppose to be, I know I am. Like our age, makes us mature :)

impressive that you are starting med school too. I have considered going back to study psychology in grad school, but the problem is I already have a career and don't see how I could. And unlike med school, psychologists don't make near the money physicians do, so it's not like I really would want to take out loans and work less.

I love all the encouraging stories of people going back to school at an older age. You are never too old to stop learning. I know someone who is a veterinarian and I think he went to vet school in his 50s. He's around 80 now and still is active as ever, though he sold his practice a while back.

Guys, thank you so much for encouraging me! I really appreciate this support. I am very happy and thrilled to hear all of these success stories. I hope I will succeed too.
Good luck to all of too!

Also, the school that I am thinking of is Indiana University. On the website of IU School of Medicine it says:
"Ninety (90) credit hours from an accredited U.S. or Canadian institution although most applicants will matriculate with a B.A. or B.S. degree."

http://admissions.medicine.iu.edu/applying-to-the-iu-school-of-medicine/
of course in addition to the general chem, org chem, phys and bio classes.
I did so far 30 credits in general studies, and I can fill the remaining hours with transferable electives at my current community college, and themed prereqs at IU.

Sure doing this and skipping getting a B.S. will be a real shortcut.
Any ideas, folks?

Last edited:
Welcome to SDN, Oz.

Yes, you should definitely get the BS. First, not having one makes you much less competitive as an applicant even at IU. Second, you will also be applying to other med schools at the same time, many of which will not accept you without a BS. For both of these reasons, you cannot go into this process thinking that you will just do the bare minimum to get into IU. You need to make your app as competitive as possible so that you can apply broadly when the time comes and increase your odds of getting accepted to medical school.

In general, if you want to be a physician, you need to get the idea of taking shortcuts out of your mind. There are no shortcuts. It's going to take you about a decade minimum from the time you decide to apply to med school to the time you start practicing. If you can't accept that, then you need to find something else to do with your life.

BTW, I started med school at 31 and will be done with residency next month. :)

Welcome to SDN, Oz.

Yes, you should definitely get the BS. First, not having one makes you much less competitive as an applicant even at IU. Second, you will also be applying to other med schools at the same time, many of which will not accept you without a BS. For both of these reasons, you cannot go into this process thinking that you will just do the bare minimum to get into IU. You need to make your app as competitive as possible so that you can apply broadly when the time comes and increase your odds of getting accepted to medical school.

In general, if you want to be a physician, you need to get the idea of taking shortcuts out of your mind. There are no shortcuts. It's going to take you about a decade minimum from the time you decide to apply to med school to the time you start practicing. If you can't accept that, then you need to find something else to do with your life.

Hey there!
What you wrote definitely makes sense. Though, the idea of me taking a decade to complete school scares me, yet I know I should. I guess there will be a fierce competition to be admitted.
I am currently doing IT, and my grades are way above average. My current major combines business with tech. Honestly, I chose this major because it is the shortest way to make good money, but now I can confidently say that I no longer like it. The only part I like is the math classes that I took/ am taking.

Do you think that doing a general studies degree that is loaded with science classes will be a good idea? Or just stick to my current major and get the degree?
Which one will look more appealing?
I am so serious about pursuing my never-dying passion.
and thank you so much.

Hey there!
What you wrote definitely makes sense. Though, the idea of me taking a decade to complete school scares me, yet I know I should. I guess there will be a fierce competition to be admitted.
I am currently doing IT, and my grades are way above average. My current major combines business with tech. Honestly, I chose this major because it is the shortest way to make good money, but now I can confidently say that I no longer like it. The only part I like is the math classes that I took/ am taking.

Do you think that doing a general studies degree that is loaded with science classes will be a good idea? Or just stick to my current major and get the degree?
Which one will look more appealing?
I am so serious about pursuing my never-dying passion.
and thank you so much.
What you major in is completely unimportant as long as you take the med school prereqs (generally a year each of biology, gen chem, organic chem, and physics with the labs). Many premeds choose to major in one of the sciences because it's convenient, but it's fine to major in IT or business or general studies. I have a liberal arts degree myself (like what people call a general studies degree at many universities).

Since you enjoy math, why not major in math? I actually thought about doing that as a freshman in college, but a semester of linear algebra brought me to my senses. I loved the applied math, but abstract math was definitely not where it's at for me!

Welcome to SDN, Oz.

The younger you are, the longer a decade seems. I'm 40 and I matriculate this year.

Reactions: 3 users

haha yeah I was 28 when i went back to college and people constantly asked if I was a freshman. I think being fit has a lot to do with it. Nothing says im older imo than extra weight. I dont have any evidence but I noticed many of my fellow non trads appear much younger than they are. Its almost like our bodies are refusing to get older because they know we are not quiet where we want to be yet. At least that my wishful theory lol

Your thirties is definitely not too late. I'm 30 and will be matriculating this fall :)

I'm thoroughly impressed by this thread.

Were any of you already in significant debt when you started? I am really considering med school after I get my pharmD (I'll be 29)....with undergrad and pharmacy ill be about 150,000 underwater.

It's not too late if you have found your dream later in life--better so than never! I am 33, married to engineering major who graduates next month and parents to 18 months old all while applying for the second time. Waitlisted at moment and hoping to matriculate this fall! Go ahead live your dream!

Do what you're passionate about, regardless of age.

Last edited:
Were any of you already in significant debt when you started? I am really considering med school after I get my pharmD (I'll be 29)....with undergrad and pharmacy ill be about 150,000 underwater.
I would think much harder and much longer about bringing that kind of debt into the debt spiral that is medical education.

Here's a first draft guideline for those over 30. I'll take feedback on this to make it better.

Red means certain misery, yellow means caution, green means do whatever you like.
nontrad_decision_tree.jpg

Edit: I think "corrective lenses" is useless info here. I'll replace that with something about the health of 1st & 2nd degree relatives over 45. I have some ideas for applying this info to timelines, such as breaking it down by premed/medschool/residency/practice/can-I-retire-yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Chart could apply to traditionals as well.

[QUOTE="Ozgur, post: 15212729, member: 613796"

Will I be too old to go to med school at 32?[/QUOTE]

I'm starting at 29. In my post-bacc, there were people in their 40's, most who were leaving established careers. The olds bring emotional maturity =)

I have no debt from my undergrad, but about 80k from my post-bacc. Some schools take into account your previous debt-load when applying for scholarships. You can defer all of your (federal) loans through your residency. Depending on what area of medicine you want to go into, or what geographic area you want to practice in, there are extremely generous debt forgiveness programs. Another option is doing something like Army Medicine.

And, though not something to count on, when our generation gets more political power, hopefully they do something to ameliorate the massive, and wide-spread, student debt loan burden ie. be able to write off all loan interest, not just the first 2,000k.

Last edited:
Here's a first draft guideline for those over 30. I'll take feedback on this to make it better.

Red means certain misery, yellow means caution, green means do whatever you like.
nontrad_decision_tree.jpg

Edit: I think "corrective lenses" is useless info here. I'll replace that with something about the health of 1st & 2nd degree relatives over 45. I have some ideas for applying this info to timelines, such as breaking it down by premed/medschool/residency/practice/can-I-retire-yet.

I dig it.
In Finances, it seems like there is a middle ground between "family gives you money" and "healthy retirement savings." "Working and healthy savings account", I wouldn't say my retirement fund was sufficient and "healthy" at 28 years old (it's there, but it's nothing to write home about), but my savings account was nicely padded when I started down this post-bacc road. That certainly made things pretty painless and continues to do so. My family stopped giving me money when I was 21.

Academics, there could be an asterisk for the schools who let you reinvent yourself. I think there was a list of them going a while back.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/medical-schools-replacing-ug-with-post-grad-gpa.926596/
add LSU-NOLA

I also typed in google the subject line and it brought me to this thread. I am 42 years old but heavily interested in going to med school. I have two masters (including a MS in computer science). I am wondering how to even start the process to go to med school. Can anyone guide me? Does it sound weird that I want to join med school? What is the first step? Do I have to go through any courses? How or where do I start preparing for MCAT etc.? Please respond with your comments.

Major in whatever you could see yourself doing if med school doesn't work out (you don't get in OR you change your mind) and take the prereqs. Carefully cultivate that GPA. Get it as close to 4.0 as possible. Give yourself plenty of time to study for the MCAT. Stay out of credit card debt. Save up a few thousand dollars for applications and interviews. Apply to a wide range of schools and go to the least expensive one that accepts you.

Age? Not sure it matters much as a medical STUDENT. It's probably going to make a difference in what I practice. I don't see myself doing a 7-year residency or general surgery.

I go to a DO school, I'm in my late 30s and most of my friends and study buddies are 23-28. It doesn't bother me. I can think of 15 classmates off the top of my head who are over 30. I can think of 15 or more who are married (although some are younger). About half of the marrieds have a baby or two. You won't be in the majority but you won't be a freak show either. Being over 40 as an M1, the numbers get more scarce.

As long as you have the freedom to spend 12 hours a day studying in the library before an exam, or can go out for the occasional stress-relieving bar crawl, volunteer for a weekend event, or play ultimate frisbee on the library lawn, you will have some way of bonding deeply with your classmates. My point is you just need to have something in common, not everything. There is a group of young, married religious men with kids who don't do any of the above but they bonded with each other, so there is also that option.

I also typed in google the subject line and it brought me to this thread. I am 42 years old but heavily interested in going to med school. I have two masters (including a MS in computer science). I am wondering how to even start the process to go to med school. Can anyone guide me? Does it sound weird that I want to join med school? What is the first step? Do I have to go through any courses? How or where do I start preparing for MCAT etc.? Please respond with your comments.

With all due respect, if you are serious you need to start with a thread search on this site. There are required courses that are mostly the same for every medical school and they are on all of their websites. Check to see which ones you have. Shadow a few doctors to see if this is really for you. Get volunteer hours. Take the classes you are missing and search these boards for MCAT prep advice. If you have more questions, you can start another thread in this forum.

Don't mind me! Just jumping on the "No way are you too old" bandwagon. I am 31 and will turn 32 in April. I start medical school in July!

that is actually an excellent advice !! :thumbup::thumbup:

there are debt-forgiven programs for the physicians who commit to public services . Combined w other options of student loan repayment, you can lower the loan amount you owns for med school to a very small amount (though I think you might still be taxed for the amount of student loans that you are forgiven).

So I guess the only thing you would have to concern about when you graduate pharmacy school is time commitment for medical school+residency, family responsibility, and loss of income potential (earned as a working pharmacist) + your deferred pharmacy loans w accrued interests.

If you think your love for medicine overrides those concern, then I guess it is a GO !! :)

"
Student Loan Repayment
Looking for help with your student loans? Visit AAMC’s FIRST for Medical Education.

On March 23, 2010, President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act (ACA, P.L. 111-148 and P.L. 111-152), which includes student loan legislative recommendations from the president’s FY 2011 budget request. The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA, P.L. 110-315) and the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 (CCRAA, P.L. 110-84), represent the first comprehensive Higher Education Act (HEA) reauthorization since 1998. Among other changes, these laws created a new student loan repayment system and eliminated the Economic Hardship Deferment. Forbearance is not affected by these laws.

Income-based Repayment (IBR): ACA reduces the repayment formula of the Income-Based Repayment (IBR) program from 15 percent of adjusted gross income to 10 percent, as well as reducing the maximum loan repayment duration from 25 years to 20 years before forgiveness. The IBR changes are effective July 1, 2014, and will only apply to new borrowers.

IBR allows medical residents to cap their monthly repayments at a reduced rate based on income. With an average first year resident stipend of $47,716, the monthly payment is $393 compared to a typical 10-year repayment of over $2,000 a month. All residents qualify for IBR regardless of income or debt levels. Similar to the economic hardship deferment, the federal government continues to pay interest on the subsidized portion of the loan during the first 3 years of IBR; interest continues to accrue on the unsubsidized portions. After 3 years, interest accrues on the subsidized portion of the loan as well. After 25 years of IBR, remaining federal educational debt is forgiven; however, physicians are unlikely to benefit from this provision.

A participant can elect to leave the IBR at any time. After leaving the program, the borrower can cap his or her monthly repayments at the 10-year repayment schedule the borrower would have held immediately before entering the income-based repayment program. Interest on the loans is capitalized at the time the participant elects to leave the income-based repayment program, most likely at the end of a physician's residency.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF): CCRAA authorizes a new "public service" loan forgiveness program, effective July 1, 2009. Physicians will be eligible for the program after 10 years of loan repayment while practicing in a "public service" job. The definition of "public service" includes 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations, faculty in "high-needs areas (as determined by the Secretary of Education), and service at private organizations providing "public health" or "emergency management" services. HEAO clarifies the definition of public health to include "full-time professionals engaged in health care practitioner occupations and health care support occupations, as such terms are defined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics." Only Direct Loans are eligible for forgiveness, but borrowers may consolidate other federal loans under a single Direct Consolidation Loan. Physicians that participate in IBR could save over $160,000 on their total loan repayment.

Loan Forgiveness for Service in Areas of National Need: Note - Congress has yet to appropriate funding for this program. As such, the Department of Education has not implemented the program, and it is not available for student loan repayment.

HEOA authorizes a new loan forgiveness program for service in areas of national need. Under this program, "public sector employees" and "medical specialists" would be eligible for up to $10,000 in loan forgiveness over 5 years. Public sector employment includes "full-time professionals engaged in health care practitioner occupations and health care support occupations." Medical specialists are defined as residents that have been accepted to, or currently participate in, an ACGME-accredited graduate medical education training program or fellowship that requires more than 5 years of total graduate medical training and has fewer U.S. medical school graduate applicants nationwide than the total number of positions available under these programs or fellowships. CCRAA prohibits participants in the loan forgiveness program for service in areas of national need from receiving additional repayments for the same service under the new public service loan forgiveness program.

Economic Hardship Deferment: CCRAA changed the definition of economic hardship deferment by eliminating the debt-to-income ratio qualifying pathway. Medical residents are unlikely to qualify under this new definition.

Forbearance: Medical residents who do not wish to begin repaying their loans during training have the option of going into forbearance. Under forbearance, no payments are required; however, interest continues to accrue and the federal government no longer pays interest on the subsidized portion of a borrower's loans. In addition, interest may be capitalized under forbearance, making this a more expensive option for borrowers. Under a special provision passed in 1993 (when the two-year internship residency deferment was eliminated) borrowers are able to forbear their federal loans throughout the duration of their ACGME-accredited residency program, regardless of the length of the program.

Contact
Matthew Shick, J.D.
Senior Legislative Analyst, Government Relations
Telephone: 202- 828-0525
Email: [email protected]

For non-legislative questions contact AAMC FIRST:
Financial Information Resources Services and Tools
Email: [email protected]"

https://www.aamc.org/advocacy/meded/79048/student_loan_repayment.html

Quick answer: Late 40's, early 50's per several threads that I've read. Definitely not before that.

Quick answer: Late 40's, early 50's per several threads that I've read. Definitely not before that.

Hmm, there are a number of people who contradict that. :cool: