How late is too late to take CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetashiro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just applied to Gen surgery.

My step1 is 232, but Im bottom quartile of my class. I applied extremely broad and many many programs (+90). I've been preparing for CK, but I dont think I'm ready to take it yet.
I got 230 on UWSA2 yesterday and my test is in 1 week (9/24).

I feel like I need to push it back if I want to get solid +240s. How much can I push my test back before it hurts me? Can I still take it in beginning of November before interview season goes into full swing? Or should I push it hard to take it within 2 weeks around October 1st?

Please help! I would appreciate some suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should probably take it sooner rather than later. Isn't having a Step2 score relatively important in G.S. for getting interviews?

Besides, UWSA is generally pretty accurate as far as predicting your CK score. 230's shouldn't hold you back... keep studying, but do you really think you will improve much more with extra time to study?

For gen surg or anything competitive most programs will require CK by the time rank lists are made, so that the absolute latest you should take it IMO.

You should probably take it sooner rather than later. Isn't having a Step2 score relatively important in G.S. for getting interviews?

Besides, UWSA is generally pretty accurate as far as predicting your CK score. 230's shouldn't hold you back... keep studying, but do you really think you will improve much more with extra time to study?

It's relatively important, but a lot of programs send interviews based on just step1 score also. I've been improving steadily so I would like to keep studying. I just don't want CK to hold me back from matching.

For gen surg or anything competitive most programs will require CK by the time rank lists are made, so that the absolute latest you should take it IMO.

If it's by the time rank list is made, then it wouldn't matter if I take it in late October?

It's relatively important, but a lot of programs send interviews based on just step1 score also. I've been improving steadily so I would like to keep studying. I just don't want CK to hold me back from matching.

If it's by the time rank list is made, then it wouldn't matter if I take it in late October?

There's no clear answer to your question.

Some programs will require both scores to offer an interview -- in that case, delaying will result in no interview in all cases
Some programs will consider an interview with only S1. In that case:
- If your S1 score is good enough (along with the rest of your application), you'll get an interview. S2 prior to ranking may be needed, and might adjust your rank position
- If your S1 score is too low, then a S2 score now that is better might get you an invite, but a later score might be too late.

In all cases, a poor S2 score might sink your chances completely.

Reactions: 2 users