how late is "too late" to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikamookie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi there everyone. I am planning to take Physics II this summer and would like to take the MCATs sometime in August, right afterward. Would it be smarter to just try and learn that stuff now beforehand and take it in July? Because of the new format, does it matter so much if I take them in July or August? All the people who just took the test this past month, are you guys all applying this summer for 2008? Or did you already apply and are retaking it? I guess I'm just confused as to when schools will take your MCAT scores and if I mess up, when I can retake them to still be considered for 2008.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am a post bac student without a good premed advisor, so I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out. Thanks again!

bluesTank

Zombie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
yea I was wondering this too, im schedueled to take it May 16, but im thinking i might take it in June or something.

Funky

This space is for sale
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
taking it in august may keep you out of some interviews. you have to think that you have to maximize your chances by taking the mcat early and applying early. however, just focus on doing well on the mcat. take the test when you're ready, because a good mcat exam is more important than applying early imo

Hope48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check with med schools when the last day to report MCAT scores. My state school requires that applicants have their MCAT scores by
Sept 1st, so the last time I could take it is in July.

phospho

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it valid to assume that the application deadlines are the same as MCAT deadlines? Because if so, assuming that nothing has changed since 2006, there are no schools that have a sept. 1 deadline, according to this:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/deadlines.htm

or am I confused?:oops:

P.S. I can't seem to find the MCAT deadline for ohio state, all it says is that the app. deadline is Dec. 1st - that's why I'm having trouble understanding this:)