How late is too late to take the oat??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preoptokid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already taken Chem I&II, Physics I&II. I am registered to take BioII and Organic chem in the fall. Is it sensible to take the OAT's in October/November before the classes end? Is it too late?? I am trying for Nova or UIW and both their deadlines arent untill April and July resp. I know that applying early is the best but I would rather be done taking the classes than be in a rush to take the test. I have a cumulative gpa of 3.78 and have gotten pretty much straight A's other than may be 2 B's and 1 C in my 4 yrs of college.

Any thoughts on the matter???

Members don't see this ad.

I strongly recommend not taking the OAT without organic. It's not an easy subject to teach yourself. It's better to apply without your OAT than take the OAT too early and get bad scores. Although I don't know how this new application system works and whether or not you have to submit everything at once or what.

Thanks! I've talked to a couple advisors about this and they also said that I can apply and have everything ready and once the oat score is in they can move forward with the application. I just think that it might be too late if I take it in January, although the deadlines for the schools that Im most interested in arent until March :(
Any other thoughts??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I've talked to a couple advisors about this and they also said that I can apply and have everything ready and once the oat score is in they can move forward with the application. I just think that it might be too late if I take it in January, although the deadlines for the schools that Im most interested in arent until March :(
Any other thoughts??
As long as you keep up with your coursework, taking it in the fall may not be that bad. Much of the basics of organic chem is covered in the early weeks, and after that its just mechanisms, synthesis, etc, which is more memorization than anything else. If you take the test in mid-late november, that should be close to the end of the semester anyways. With your gpa, however, I think a reasonable score (~300) should be enough to get you at least an interview as long as you let them know thats why those particular scores may be lower than the rest. I'm also not sure about how the new applications work, but I was in your situation last year, and they let me know that they considered me because they were aware of my situation.

do all schools put ur app on hold if your OAT scores are not in? I was hoping to take the OATs mid-August, but I do not feel ready. I am thinking I am going to push back my date to some time in October. Is this too late if my application will be complete except for the OAT score?

Also, probably answered before, but what is worse... having your application not looked at until late October (when I think im going to move my date to) and not retake it (won't make the deadline for Berkeley to be able to take it again) or take it in August with a not so great score and let the schools that I am applying to know that I plan on retaking the OATs at the end of November?