How late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLH1317

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok My science GPA is 3.0, and my accumulative GPA is 3.3. I have excellent extracurricular activities, I work a full time job. However I have to retake my MCAT in August because I got a 15 the last time I took them. Therefore I will be receiving my results in September. The big question is: Is September too late for me to be applying? .........Please Help.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read on here, if you really really want to apply this year, get AMCAS done and submitted so it's in line to get verified. Then get secondary prompts (I think they'll be posted on here once ppl start getting secondaries) for the schools you're applying to and work on the essays so you can submit them literally as soon as you get the secondaries. It still might hurt a little but I know plenty of people who've gotten in with August MCAT. However, if you're not a quick essay writer (because you'll be studying for the MCAT concurrently, I guess), this might not work...

Also, do not post again without lurking for a few more months to get info, you will get more legitimate responses if you are informed.

Huh? He's allowed to post without lurking, it's the best way to get responses specific to his situation

To the OP: If you really are dead-set on applying this year, please be sure to add in DO schools to your list. Your GPA is very low, and the odds of increasing your MCAT score from 15->30+ are slim to say the least. I'd apply to SMP programs for next year just in case, b/c you'll want to prove to med schools that you can handle the material.

To answer your original question, September is not too late, none of my applications were complete until mid-September. But it doesn't give you the advantage that early apps get