How late should I schedule interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charge!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten a number of interview offers, but due to logistical reasons I have been forced to push those back towards late January. Would that be a disadvantage because the interviewers would have already seen all of the previous candidates or an advantage because I would be fresh on their minds when they finalize their rank list?

Members don't see this ad.

I have gotten a number of interview offers, but due to logistical reasons I have been forced to push those back towards late January. Would that be a disadvantage because the interviewers would have already seen all of the previous candidates or an advantage because I would be fresh on their minds when they finalize their rank list?

it may or may not be an advantage or disadvantage. . . they may have lowered their expectations by that point because they have seen most of the applicants and are now comparing you to the acutal applicant pool instead of the "ideal" applicant. i did my interviews early because i wanted to get them out of the way. i know other people who did them late. i don't think it really matters.

it may depend on what specialty you're applying to. i am applting to pathology and i have been told by a program that they want me to interview well before january because they like to have made their decisions by then.

this is not all of the programs, however, as some of them do offer interviews in january.

apparently, it is a known fact that pathology likes to interview earlier than other specialties....that has been the word on the street and i am finding it to be true now that i am in the process of applying.

so, i suggest that you find out what the trend is for your specialty and especially for the programs you are very interested in...you might even ask them directly if you are truly that concerned.

i would imagine that for soemthing like IM or Peds or IM, interviews can go into feburary since they really need to fill a lot of spots.

in all honesty, i would think if they offer you a date in january, then you should be considered with the same seriousness as those who interviewed in novemeber.

ultimately, if you're good and they want you, they'll take you no matter when you interview.

FWIW, I interviewed on the very last interview date of the program where I matched.

Come to think of it, I also interviewed on my medical school's final date. So I guess interviewing late works for me...