How Late to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have a question regarding how late to apply. I know that the earlier the better, but here's my situation. If i wait it out(after summer school which is in September), i can get a 3.01. cum GPA. My MCAT is a 35. Otherwise i'll be applying with a 2.9 or something.

So what should i do? Apply with the 2.9 in June-July. Apply with the 3.0? Or apply with the 2.9 and give them an update about my GPA in September?

I need to apply this year, so if i do get denied, i can be qualified for the Post-bach program here. But.....of course, i would like to get in on my first time through. I will be applying in California, and many other places. I have tons of extracurriculars(including but certainly not limited to clinical stuff). I have a lot of things going for me, but this GPA issue is really not making me happy. Some personal issues in my life pretty much. But i'm not gonna make excuses on my personal statement since thats just stupid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think a 2.9 or 3.01 will make any difference, because med schools (speaking on averages and what I've learned in this process)need a minimum of 3.3 and I know very few people who even get in with that. I'm sorry to say, but you might have to do post graduate classes or something to pull up your gpa if you want to be considered. Your MCAT is excellent, except you'll be competing with people with high mcats and gpas, no matter what the school is. Of couurse there are always exceptions and special stories.

However if you have spoken with an advisor and were told to try it, go for it. The earlier you apply, the better. I'm sorry if I was blunt with my response...I just don't want anyone to waste 2K+ and precious time for a slim chance of acceptance, when one year of postbac work could greatly improve your opportunities in the future.

Good luck with everything

No problem, i rather have someone be blunt then give me false info. How much can post-bach "make a difference"? I'm not too familiar with it.

My school's post-bach program claims to have an 85% success rate, if not more.(UC Davis)

Since there's not much......other classes that i can take here at UCD, that can count for sci GPA and the like(other than graduate level classes).

Well then, if post-bach is the way to go, i might as well apply to some schools. Since one of hte requirments for our post-bach program is to have proof that i got rejected.

Is it also true that Med schools positively view reapplicants that have made improvements? Or do they not like it when you reapply?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
They like it when you reapply ONLY if you have made significant improvements...BTW, don't turn to postbac without fully exploring your options first......I've never been in your situation so I dont know the bedst advice. Please make sure you talk to a premed advisor or call a few ad coms offices to ask your chances

I suppose one thing you could do to test the waters is to apply early decision. You would only spend money applying to one school. If you get rejected, then you can show to the post-bac program that you have been rejected. Some schools have limits to the number of times you apply to them, so you want to try to get in on your first shot.

When did you take the MCATs? One thing to worry about delaying the application process is your scores might become too old for some schools. Then you would have to *gulp* take the MCATs again.

There are no gurantees either way, normally I would say apply to your state schools but in California that doesn't mean a whole lot with the amount of people applying. I would look at schools that accept a lot of out of state applicants. It is not all about the numbers as we have learned, so go for it there is no reason why you shouldn't try. Do it early, and you might want to try early decision at a school.

If you do apply the whole gambit of schools, I would not advise waiting for the end of summer. Applying early is always the key. I know some people have applied rather early and still waited a long time to hear any word. But most med schools are rolling admissions, the earlier you apply the more slots are available.

I would also consider moving and trying to establish residency in another state. I understand California to be hypercompetitive. You might improve your chances in another state.

Let me concur with JBJ. I probably wouldn't even consider applying this year (unless you have a huge upward treand from 1.0 to 3.0) I don't think you will even get an interview anywhere. I would say get a Masters in a state like Texas which has a lot of medical schools which arn't competative.

Your MCAT is great. If you have the money, apply now. What have you got to lose? Look at all the posts on this board of people saying "ugh, I have a 3.7 and a 33 and have no interviews...this process is so arbitrary..." Having a 3.3 gpa doesn't guarantee anything. So go ahead and apply. As my pre-med advisor says, "if you want to go to medical school now, then apply now, and let the schools themselves tell you if _they_ think you're ready or not."

Good luck!

Ok guys, thank you SO MUCH for the many replies!

Here's what i'm leaning towards. I'll apply this year to the Cali schools, and say 5 or so out of state school that are more "generous". Clearly the odds are against me, but who knows.

I understand that the GPA issue is bad. But i have some stuff up my sleeve that may catch somebody's eye. I have 5 publications. Two of which are chapters in a medical textbook, 2 as a co-author for a journal article, and 1 as first author for another journal. I'm now working on my 6th. Coached 2 years for water polo, 1 year for swimming. Logged literally hundreds of hours for clinical work. Anyway....i also have reason's why the GPA has been so crappy. Both economical and home issues.(like i said though, i don't want to make excuses with that....but it sure sounds like it..so sorry).

Should i take the MCAT again? Maybe i can win the MCAT lottery and get a 40(jK?). As i told my water polo kids, there's always room for improvement.

I've talked to my school's post-bach program. They will allow me to get in without having been rejected from a medical school. Since i am currently on hte 4 year and 1 quarter plan for undergrad. I was fearing they wouldn't let me in since....i have to take one extra quarter. But they said i can still do it. As long as they accept my application.

So........in summary. Apply to say 13 schools or so(8 cali, 5 out of state). Apply for post-bach program. If i get into a Med school, then free beers for everyone! Otherwise, off to post-bach i go to improve my GPA for a year, then make try again next year. I'm going to be spending money for something, might as well pray for a miracle by applying now ya know?

Does anyone else have any more insight? I am "annoyed" that this is the case, but i take full responsibility for it. Time isn't an issue....i'll get into med school at some point, maybe now, maybe later. I got time:p

You are defintely an outstanding applicant...shows that numbers mean nothing! I think you should apply as soon as you can...the earlier, the better.

On many of your secondary applications there will be a space to account for any reasons for low academics...I think you should put down your reasons so they don't hold it against you. Good luck! If you have the money and time, you should apply to lots of schools, like more than 5 out of Cali...try some lower tier schools to increase your chances.

On your essay you may even want to discuss your problems of the past if you have learned form them or if they will make you a better doctor....just a suggestion. I think you have a chance.

Good luck!

relentless,
I like your name! I posted something on a thread titled low gpa/mact...a suggestion that might interest you. I have a 2.9 UGA, several pubs, interesting clinical ECs, MCAT (took twice: 35 R (10/14/11) and 38 S (11/14/13)) but could never overcome that damn UGA. I think that there is a difference between post-bacc progs and special masters programs. I talk about that in the thread mentioned above. Post bacc programs work really well if you don't have much of a science GPA otherwise it is tough if you have lots of units completed to move that final number. Check that thread out and I hope it helps. Good Luck!

Thank you all for the wonderful insight, as well as your wishes of good luck.

I think i will apply then....at least to schools that give out secondaries....so that i can actually show them what i have done and so on. I'll apply to the UC's too even though its probably for nothing. But its my state, so i might as well.

You mention your low UG GPA is a product of some personal problems--does this mean that there's an isolated semester or year where your GPA is really low? Or is your GPA reflective of all your semesters at UC Davis? This is pretty important, if it's the former, than I would proably apply, if it's the latter I would be very hesitant.

Don't forget some schools have gpa cut-offs. A student that attends UCSF Med school posts on this forum once-in-a-while and she was pretty confident that her school has a 3.2 gpa cut-off for sending secondaries.

You might want to get ahold of a few deans at different schools and explain your situation and see what they advice. This application process can be overwhelming and you wouldn't want to go through it twice. Lets say you don't get in, then when you reapply they'll ask if you're a reapplicant--saying "yes" can't be too much of a turn-on for schools.

There are tons of very qualified applicants in California with great ECs and high GPAs. You definetly sound qualified as far as MCAT and ECs are concerned, but you just simply don't hear about students getting in with 2.9s or 3.01s. This is just my take.

Best of luck.

Yea i remember at least UCSF has a cut off for the first screening. My peronsal problems dominated my freshman and sophmore years in college. There is an upward trend from my junior to senior years.

So pretty much you advise calling teh dean of admissions at the schools i want to apply then?