How likely is a retroactive withdrawal due to mental illness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlfonsTheGuru

Surgeons aren't what they used to be.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took an Introduction to Computer Dual Enrollment Class during my sophomore year of high school.

I was immature and mentally ill (to a lesser extent now) specially with social anxiety disorder and what was not diagnosed at the time, mild depression. Even so, I managed to get a B in the class, which is excellent for the circumstance. With proof of my diagnosis from my personal psychiatrist, how likely is a retroactive withdrawal? I do not want this B to be reported on the AMCAS. I would like a clean start, a chance to earn a 4.0 GPA.

I apologize if this comes out as a dumb question; maybe I'm just looking for a little support and reassurance at the moment :/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unnecessary question simply because no one cares about high school grades for med school. If this happens to you in university, I don't think anyone would ever remove a B because of anxiety issues. At most if you went to a counsellor before the final you might be able to get a late withdrawl (instead of F or Inc) depending on the institution.

edit: Sorry I assumed you were asking this in relation to applying to med school, are you asking this in reference to getting into college? Regardless, if you finished the class and got a non-failing grade, I would be pretty shocked if any high school allowed you to get rid of this just because you feel you could have done better.

Unnecessary question simply because no one cares about high school grades for med school. If this happens to you in university, I don't think anyone would ever remove a B because of anxiety issues. At most if you went to a counsellor before the final you might be able to get a late withdrawl (instead of F or Inc) depending on the institution.

edit: Sorry I assumed you were asking this in relation to applying to med school, are you asking this in reference to getting into college? Regardless, if you finished the class and got a non-failing grade, I would be pretty shocked if any high school allowed you to get rid of this just because you feel you could have done better.
No one cares about high school grades, but dual enrollment will be reported on the AMCAS. I am actually asking in regards to medical school admission. I thank you for your opinion, though. I hope you wish the best of luck for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that anyone with a "B" is automatically rejected from all med-schools

But seriously relax...

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard that anyone with a "B" is automatically rejected from all med-schools

But seriously relax...
I'm hysterical :lame: I'm probably freaking out for no good reason. The science GPA is more important, and top-tiers aren't going to reject me for this.

You hope I wish you the best of luck? That's a strange statement. I mean, I do... I just don't know why you'd be hoping that.

Regardless, even if it shows up, as You're My Boy Blue (love your name) mentioned it's not a big deal. You can always ask your school if you really want, but there's basically no chance of having a decent grade removed because you were later diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.

Reactions: 3 users
ALL college courses, including those taken in high school, must be listed on your AMCAS transcript.

The good news is that you can still earn the equivalent of a 4.0. Heuristically, GPA is viewed with two significant figures: three applicants with a 3.68, a 3.7, and a 3.72 will all be considered to be 3.7 GPA applicants by the overwhelming majority of people. If you end up with a 3.97, nobody will hold that against you.

Reactions: 1 users
ALL college courses, including those taken in high school, must be listed on your AMCAS transcript.

The good news is that you can still earn the equivalent of a 4.0. Heuristically, GPA is viewed with two significant figures: three applicants with a 3.68, a 3.7, and a 3.72 will all be considered to be 3.7 GPA applicants by the overwhelming majority of people. If you end up with a 3.97, nobody will hold that against you.
Does the same apply for AP courses? If so, what if I dropped out of high school during the time I was taking an AP course?

You hope I wish you the best of luck? That's a strange statement. I mean, I do... I just don't know why you'd be hoping that.

Regardless, even if it shows up, as You're My Boy Blue (love your name) mentioned it's not a big deal. You can always ask your school if you really want, but there's basically no chance of having a decent grade removed because you were later diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.
Then I don't wish anything?

Does the same apply for AP courses? If so, what if I dropped out of high school during the time I was taking an AP course?

AP courses dont count. It is just given as credit for the class in college.

Nothing from high school should concern you to be honest.

No one is going to care about a single B. Perfectionism is much more concerning to us. A 3.5 GPA can get you into a lot of MD schools, and every DO school.

I took an Introduction to Computer Dual Enrollment Class during my sophomore year of high school.

I was immature and mentally ill (to a lesser extent now) specially with social anxiety disorder and what was not diagnosed at the time, mild depression. Even so, I managed to get a B in the class, which is excellent for the circumstance. With proof of my diagnosis from my personal psychiatrist, how likely is a retroactive withdrawal? I do not want this B to be reported on the AMCAS. I would like a clean start, a chance to earn a 4.0 GPA.

I apologize if this comes out as a dumb question; maybe I'm just looking for a little support and reassurance at the moment :/