How little Ob/Surgery/Peds can you study and still do fine on Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunnyDocMan1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have step 3 upcoming and am finding myself wanting to just go through MKSAP as my main study material instead of uworld because 1) It's much more relevant to my career/helpful for residency 2) It's free through my program. I was planning to cram in some ob/surgery/peds for 1-2 days prior to the written test by going through my step 2 notes for those subjects. Does this sound like an ok plan to those of you who have taken the test or does this risk resulting in a very low step 3 score that may be a red flag on fellowship applications (yes, I know it's a minor part of the application but I don't want to do disproportionately bad on it).

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of places do not allow advancing to 2nd year if you haven't passed Step 3.

No use putting your career in jeopardy over not wanting to study stuff that is not applicable to your Residency.

Don't waste your time on MKSAP. Do uworld. There isn't as much surgery, ob as there was on step 2 ck but you should still be familiar with the basic stuff. There is peds on step 3. A lot of biostats, epi and primary care.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is probably fine. Not a slam dunk, but probably fine. I knew neurosurgery residents who took step 3 during their 5th year of residency and still passed.

You don't need to study at all to pass the test. How a bunch of columbia nps couldn't pass a watered down step 3 written by other nurses is beyond me.

Just do Uworld. I am atrocious at ob/gyn (and most things but particularly that), did about 2/3 of the q bank and all of the cases, and am still a resident

Well I didn't listen to you guys, just did IM MKSAP and no uworld, and got 246...