How long are MCAT scores good for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most schools take scores that are no more than 2-3 years old. I'm mostly concerned about the 2 year schools. I have my undergrad plans laid out and studying for the MCAT this summer just made the most sense. It's also probably the only time I can seriously buckle down to study without getting swamped in everything else that's going on with school.

I will be taking the MCAT this September as a junior and plan on applying for MD/PhD programs and MD programs in the 2016 - 2017 cycle so that I can have a gap year to continue doing research.

1) Should I be concerned about my test being invalid for any schools? Specifics would be helpful.
2) Any differences on the expiration date for MSTPs?
3) Will it look like I'm just trying to avoid the 2015 MCAT?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You really just need to look at the schools you are interested in. Chances are, 5-10 people will give you specific schools and likely none of those schools will be schools you are considering.

2. The internet is your friend, I am sure the schools you are interested in have this information on their websites.

3. I don't know, but if you - for whatever reason - end up having to apply a year later then you will be SOL. I'm not just saying you may not get in, consider your research project taking longer than you expected and if you stick with it you'll get a shot at Science...

Please don't be lazy, make a list of schools you are interested in and do the research. There are only 120 schools. Chances are, you cannot be seriously interested in more than 30-40 of them...it would take you 3-4 hours to compile all the information from their websites on to a spreadsheet.