How long are we going to be in debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mid9blu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many years does the average dentists take to pay back their loans? Lets say for private schools... BU or NYU.

Members don't see this ad.

mid9blu said:
I was wondering how many years does the average dentists take to pay back their loans? Lets say for private schools... BU or NYU.

NYU, huh? So now you're considering it? :laugh: :D

Jen

just expect your kids to pay the loans back after you bite the dust

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the avg is 7 years but of course depends on where you go....obviously.

These were my choices....

USC = 10+ years
UCSF = 5 years or less hopefully

Look at like this you'll always be in some type of debt.

School debt
Office debt
life debt
etccc..........

not many people buy their houses with cash so you are always paying a mortgage...thats basically a dept (yes i know smart-@ss answer). realistically i think that alot of people do a 30 year pay off but mostly have it done in 12 becuase you can always pay extra off at any point

For NYU.... at LEAST 25 years. For normally priced schools (loans of ~$150,000) I would go with the 10 year payment plan. Remember on a $150,000 loan you will pay back close to $250,000. Now, imagine what you pay back with the $300,000+ loan from those "special" schools, like NYU.

I'm worried that i will never stop paying those loans... cuz i wanna enjoy life after dental school :) ... hopefully that is still possible.
But thanks for the input guys.

mid9blu said:
I'm worried that i will never stop paying those loans... cuz i wanna enjoy life after dental school :) ... hopefully that is still possible.
But thanks for the input guys.

well didnt you know that life in america is series of bills and other monthly, quarterly payments?

Depends on how much you want to pay it off. Let's say you have $200,000 to pay off. Your salary is $100,000. If you still live with your parents, it would take 3 or 4 years if you simply live to pay your loans only. The faster you pay it off, the less it will cost you in the long run.