How long can personal stat. be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like an ignorant question- but does anyone know how long the personal statements are supposed to be? My advising ofice has shut down for the summer due to lack of funding, and I am on my own on this one.

Also, is it bad to discuss one's race and gender it the statement?

Thanks for any help!

MNgirl

Members don't see this ad.

Hey- Essay lengths for the secondaries vary depending on the school- some are only a few lines, some actually say that you can continue onto additional pages.

If you're wondering about the AMCAS primary, their guidelines are pretty rigid to one page. If you do the paper version, you can perhaps squeeze more in by using a smaller font, but a lot of schools don't appreciate having to pull out their bifocals.

About race and gender being in your essay. . . I suppose some people would say it's not politically correct. . . but I am of the persuasion that it all depends on HOW you talk about it. I started my primary essay with a little description of my ethnicity and I had no problem with interviews.

For the AMCAS it has to fit in the box on the form. I did the electronic version and wrote the essay in MS Word. It was pretty straightforward to just copy and paste it to fit. You can do a print preview to see how it looks on the page.