how long did it take to go through 1st aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who've already taken the boards, how long did it take to go through FA? what was your approaces? Just read through it and memorize stuff, or use it w/ after doing pratice questions?

Members don't see this ad.

7 weeks to study/cram= end result: kicked butt on exam! = *relief* *wipe beads off sweat*

1) beginning attitude = i wanted really learn the material for the material's sake... to consolidate the first 2 years of med school and feel a sense of resolution for the basic science years. after revisiting the material, i found a bunch of stuff on step 1 is actually kinda useful after the test on the wards/beyond = this "knowlege for my own education's sake" got me over the hump initially....
later phase attitude = MEMORIZE MEMORIZE MEMORIZE the freakin' FA, the first few chapters of BRS Path, key mechanisms in BRS Physio, to score high-yield points. this got me over the bloody last 3.5 weeks bf the exam.

2) went thru FA once in first 3-4 weeks; using other texts to "bone up" on topics present in FA but which i had forgotten or never learned (Fabry Dz is a good example)

3) made lots and lots of mnemonics for pharm/micro/path/anatomy etc =some of the best advice from graduating 4th year = very helpful for the many stupid nit-picky details which do in fact turn up one way or another on exam. :(
<good thing is these mnemonics still stay with me during 3rd year... still!)

YOU WILL FIND, INVARIABLY, THAT A LOT OF THE STUFF YOU READ/LEARNED IN FA WILL BE FORGOTTEN AFTER 2 days- 2 WEEKS time !!! = MUCH FRUSTRATION bf exam = you must come up with a way to really get the facts in FA INTERNALIZED in your mind = for me it was lots of repitition and lots of mnemonics and creating mini charts and self-test questions.

4) after 3 week initial basic workup; piled thru FA (3+ more times depending on suject matter i had friggin' forgotten) AND very importantly, q-bank for the last four weeks of school. made sure i understood high yield subject/questions/explanations such as physio, micro, pharm, path (i focussed less so on neuro and anatomy, for good reason: it's not really tested in depth). also did the q-bank questions over a 2nd or 3rd time to make sure previous errors/misunderstandings were clarified.

finally, in week before test, did the official released USMLE practice tests to see how i faired (3 blocks; 150 questions total)

5) in summary:
First, i tried to cover the core step 1 knowlege in 3-3.5 weeks.
Next I did a) lots and lots of USMLE style questions AND b) worked hard to drill the basic FA facts into quick-reflex memory (not slow-reflex memory!!!).

ok, that's it for now.
good luck!

i did more of my step 1 studying outside of first aid. i read bits of pieces of first aid during that time, but i went cover to cover the week before my test.

To go through and *memorize* FA and be able to apply it during test-taking situations, I found it took studying it for 4-6 months approx. 2-3 hours/day on average.

Members don't see this ad :)
The FIRST time through could take anywhere from weeks to months, depending on the student...

The LAST time through took me a week -- that is, the final week before the exam.

Some students on this forum say it takes them about 2 days to go through First Aid toward the end. I found I couldn't pull that one off -- so I gave myself 5-7 days at the end to make my final pass through FA. It was about right for me. Maybe I am slow, but I'll bet I'm not the only slow kid. :cool:

It took me three days to go through all of it a couple of weeks before the exam, but I was reading it from day one of second year. I also did alot of other things.
I would not recommend doing only First Aid. FA is the bare minumum that any exam taker should know.