1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How long did it take - UChicago Pritzker student host?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ivy91, Nov 22, 2005.

1. ivy91

ivy91 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

For those of you who have taken advantage of student hosting, how long did it take for someone to get in touch with you after submiting the hosting form online? I submit mine over two weeks ago, and my interview is coming up. I've tried contacting the two people in charge and haven't gotten a response. Hotels in Chicago are expensive...help?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sbristow

sbristow the mgh
    5+ Year Member

I actually didn't hear back until a student called me while I was in the security line at the airport on my way to Chicago! I would go ahead and reserve a room at a hotel near the airport or school that has a shuttle service. You could always cancel if the student actually gets back to you.

Or try the admissions office for more students' names...

Good luck! Chicago was great!

4. ivy91

ivy91 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm not too familiar with Chicago geography - I know the school recommends a bunch of hotels. Are there SDNers who've stayed at any that are close to the school? Or have shuttle service? Thanks buddies! :)

5. sbristow

sbristow the mgh
    5+ Year Member

first, definitely fly into midway instead of o'hare - it's much closer.
    then google hotels near miday and pick one...when you call, ask about shuttle service/city buses.

good luck!

6. TracksuitsRock

TracksuitsRock Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know what is up with Pritzker because i LOVE the school but the hosting program coordination is terrible! I never heard back from anyone after emailing 3 times (the first being a month before my interview) so finally had to call the admissions office and felt like I totally annoyed the woman who helped me out because she kept saying how this wasn't her job. Every hotel (literally) in the city was booked for a conference so I had no other choice. Anyway, she found me a student, gave me his number and he was great. And I got in so I couldn't have annoyed her too badly. I would give this a shot. Call the person who sent you the interview email, explain the problem and hopefully she can help you out!

7. nosugrefneb

nosugrefneb (benferguson)
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi folks,

I'm a second-year at Pritzker and helped coordinate hosting last year for all the requests that came in. I'm sorry that some of you are having so much trouble, but I can assure you it's not typically like this. With over 500 requests coming in over a period of about 6 months (we've had almost 200 already this year!), sometimes people can get lost in the mix or submissions don't come through for some reason. Also, we just recently handed the responsibilities over to the current first-years, so there's been some delay in getting everyone switched over.

Regardless, while we can't guarantee it, we try very hard to accommodate everyone who requests a host (even if it takes a chunk out of studying!), so if you're still having problems contacting people but still want a host, feel free to email me at [email protected] telling me your name, interview date, and undergrad college and I'll see to it that the person who's supposed to be setting you up gets a hold of you ASAP.

Take care,
    Ben
    [email protected]

8. ucjames

ucjames Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You might try contacting the International House at the U of C - they offer rooms on a one-night basis if they have open rooms.

http://ihouse.uchicago.edu/residency/residency_short.html

It would be a little bit of a hike - a bit over half a mile walk straight down the midway, which will be mighty cold from now till April - but no hotel would be more convenient.

As far as hotels, I think the only hotel in Hyde Park is the Ramada Inn Lake Shore up at 49th and Lake Shore Drive. It's usually somewhere around $99 per night, I believe. You'd need to either take a short cab ride to campus, public bus and then walk, or it might be possible to hitch with a campus bus somehow, but you'd need to talk to someone from Pritzker to see if that could be arranged. Too far to walk though, especially in winter and dressed for an interview.

9. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had a similar experience.... I was assigned a host only 2 days before my interview (and I had submitted a request at least a month earlier). My host ended up being great, but I too was worried and trying to figure out how in the world I would afford a chicago hotel.
    I think you should email the coordinator again... And considering that this has been an issue for numerous people, maybe we should extend feedback to the admissions office that this situation adds a little bit more stress to an already stressful process/visit.
    Everything else about the interview day, by the way, was wonderful.

10. ivy91

ivy91 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yea, I've tried emailing the coordinators and calling the admissions office for more names, but I'm thinking that this small holiday called Thanksgivng is getting in the way. Hopefully someone will come through for me! Have a good one everybody :)

11. DNM503

DNM503 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Try the Ramada Inn Lakeshore. Ask for a discount for the University of Chicago. I think it was like 70-80/night...which isn't super-cheap but a good alternative if you can't find student housing. It's also really fairly close (1-1.5 miles) to the school and they have a shuttle that runs there (but it doesn't run early enough to make it to your interview day by 9). You can walk it...I ended up taking a cab, though, which wasn't too expensive (6-12 dollars). Sorry that all my numbers are ranges for you...I was there over a month ago and can't really remember exacts...haha. But good luck...Chicago is an awesome school, and the administration there seems incredible!