How long did it take you to do PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrxle3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did everyone spend writing up their personal statments? Just curious to know.

Members don't see this ad.

4 mildly high hours...
1 sober hour the next morning to edit/revise

Members don't see this ad :)
About two months with five different people proofreading it. I think I finally need to say it is not going to get any better!

I wrote mine in twenty minutes, and the guy who interviewed me said it was among the best he had ever read...go figure. I really don't think they'll say "Sure he's a strong candidate, GPA,DAT etc, but his personal statement is just not up to par." Just try not to offend anyone with overly religious tones, or excessive name dropping. They don't care what your mommy or daddy did, they want to know about YOU. Be honest, humble and straight forward and you will be fine. If you can mention something invloving hand skills, that is a big plus too. In my case it was veterenary microsurgury, but even tieing flys for fly fishing will do. My 2 cents.

Mrxle3 said:
How long did everyone spend writing up their personal statments? Just curious to know.
I took 2 weeks to finish my personal statement that is with editing and close family reading and giving me feedback.

St. Appolonia said:
I wrote mine in twenty minutes, and the guy who interviewed me said it was among the best he had ever read...go figure. I really don't think they'll say "Sure he's a strong candidate, GPA,DAT etc, but his personal statement is just not up to par." Just try not to offend anyone with overly religious tones, or excessive name dropping. They don't care what your mommy or daddy did, they want to know about YOU. Be honest, humble and straight forward and you will be fine. If you can mention something invloving hand skills, that is a big plus too. In my case it was veterenary microsurgury, but even tieing flys for fly fishing will do. My 2 cents.

Some people are natural writers.

like a week, with one or two people reading it over. i pretty much agree with the previous poster who said you are basically fine as long as you tell your experiences and thoughts in a way that is coherent, intelligent, spelling and grammatically correct and doesn't linger on anything that might be controversial or offensive. I think that most people work themselves up about the PS much more than they need to. although if you have really low stats you might want to try harder to make yours stand out.

I procrastinated and worked sporadically for months.

Mrxle3 said:

about a week.