How long did it take you to memorize the Roadmaps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to how long it took some of you to memorize all the Destroyer OChem Roadmaps cold.

Members don't see this ad.

It took me 4 days. I memorized the first 3 on the first day. The next 3 on the next day. The last ones on the 3rd day and on the 4th day I reviewed them until they were all solid.

To memorize them I just copied each one 7 times. By the 5th time it was pretty much memorized but I heard somewhere that if you do something 7 times it creates a memory (or something) so I chugged through copying them 7 times.

It took me 4 days. I memorized the first 3 on the first day. The next 3 on the next day. The last ones on the 3rd day and on the 4th day I reviewed them until they were all solid.

To memorize them I just copied each one 7 times. By the 5th time it was pretty much memorized but I heard somewhere that if you do something 7 times it creates a memory (or something) so I chugged through copying them 7 times.

Great input, thank you. When you say you copied them down, did you copy each individual reaction down separately or copy it down exactly as it is constructed on the Roadmap?

Members don't see this ad :)
before reviewing the roadmaps i had taken a lot of notes from chad's videos and i had gone through them quite a bit..

given that, it took me about an hour or so to go through the roadmaps. there were only a few reactions that i was unfamiliar with, because they were not covered by chad. the rest of them i knew right off the bat because i understood basic mechanisms. trust me it saves a WHOLE lot of time and it makes life easier by learning the mechanisms. this way my OC score improved 6 points. hope this helps you.

before reviewing the roadmaps i had taken a lot of notes from chad's videos and i had gone through them quite a bit..

given that, it took me about an hour or so to go through the roadmaps. there were only a few reactions that i was unfamiliar with, because they were not covered by chad. the rest of them i knew right off the bat because i understood basic mechanisms. trust me it saves a WHOLE lot of time and it makes life easier by learning the mechanisms. this way my OC score improved 6 points. hope this helps you.

Definitely. I have about 100 flashcards made of all the reactions Chad went throughout all his OChem lectures. If I'm unsure as to how the reaction takes place, I have about 70 pages of notes on OChem alone of all the mechanistic steps. I'll memorize the flashcards prior to attempting the roadmaps. I think I can tackle the cards in a day.

on the subject of roadmap, I'm just wondering where I can find it? I saw somewhere on the forum that it's problem 138 of the ochem section of destroyer, but I don't see it @@ Is it because they're talking about a different version? mine is 2010. Thanks :)

In the 2011 version it is "question 171" in the answer key. There are about 8 pages of reactions, see if you can find it somewhere in the answer key.

I think a more appropriate question would be "How long did it take you to memorize IR and NMR values"?

I still can't wrap my head around memorizing these values!

Have you watched the Chad videos on IR and NMR? After watching it two or three times you should be able to decipher what the spectra are telling you.