How long do I need to study for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZZXNA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need to take the MCAT by January 2016 to be eligible for matriculation in 2016. I have some foundation in physics, but am pretty much clueless when it comes to biology and chemistry.

I just started looking at Kaplan today and am feeling pretty overwhelmed by the amount of information I need to process in 3 months.

Is the dream dead?

Alternatively, I could always gun for med in Australia, where the GAMSAT seems to be easier. This would however mean matriculating in Feb 2017 and not August 2016.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am confused. In order to matriculate in 2016... meaning you will begin school in fall 2016.... you need to have already taken the MCAT and applied to medical schools. Do you mean in order to be eligible to APPLY in 2016 (meaning submit to AMCAS in summer of 2016)?

I am confused. In order to matriculate in 2016... meaning you will begin school in fall 2016.... you need to have already taken the MCAT and applied to medical schools. Do you mean in order to be eligible to APPLY in 2016 (meaning submit to AMCAS in summer of 2016)?

No I mean exactly what I said. The school I am applying for (outside the US) accepts MCATs taken in Jan 2016, which will then be followed by an interview in March 2016. If successful, I will begin the term in fall 2016.

I know this is different from the normal timelines followed by American colleges, but it is what it is.