How long do spend reading each verbal passage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofT9919

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should read slower or faster. I just started practicing with EK101 and tpr and i've been getting about 65%-50% of the questions correct. I spend about 2-3min reading and then 3-4min doing the questions for ek101. What do you guys do

Members don't see this ad.

Usually people do 3 minutes for the passage and 4 minutes for questions. You have to figure out what works best for you.

You have 60 minutes to do 7 passages, so you should be spending 8-9 min/passage. I think a good pace would be to spend about 2.5-3 minutes reading the passage. Don't focus on details or examples, but instead try to extract main points and the author's views. This will give you about 1 minute to read a question, refer back to the passage, and then answer the question. Naturally you'll answer some questions a lot faster than others, but this is a good pace to keep. Don't spend more than 9 minutes on any single passage unless you're very comfortable with every other passage already.

I'd suggest you learn to just read the passage once way through at a normal/reasonable pace.

I think you'll get more velocity as you go on with the passages. I can finish it with about 2-3 extra minutes but started with 10-15 minutes lagging.

I strongly suggest you highlight names of people, places, and things. I suggest you underline definitions if they are provided. Always keep in mind what is the author saying, since that's the bulk of the questions.

I'm scoring about 11 on every test and I'm into the 7th section. I started with 10s (but with slower speed). I hope I can boost to a 12-14 range for the real thing. Mostly since it will be a faster test.