How long do you have before you have to accept?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetMtl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted at one school, but waitlisted at another that I would much prefer to go to. How does all this work? How long do I have before I have to accept from the first school, and then what happens if I do accept but then get into the other school? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought you had to send a reply within 2 weeks? I'm not sure, I've never been accepted :)

As far as I know you can accept at one school but still withdraw at a later date if you get moved off the waitlist at the other school.

At this point (after May 15th) its all school dependant. So call the school that accepted you and see when you need your contract/deposit in by.

Send that in. THEN if you get off the waitlist at the other school you will again, have a very short amount of time (depends on what the school wants - probably like a week) to accept the offer and withdraw from the first school.

This happened to me. I was accepted to MCW in January, waitlisted at IU. Last week I received an e-mail from MCW saying that I had been accepted at two institutions. I called IU and asked them if this was correct because I had not received anything in the mail or a phone call. IU told me that MCW was not to release this information but that I had been accepted and placed at one of the satellite campuses at IU. To make a long story short, MCW gave me the deadline of today at noon (so 1 week). I STILL have not formally received anything from IU. They said letters were sent out last Friday. With the holiday weekend and the race, mail can get behind a day or so in Indianapolis. So hopefully I will have my packet from IU today. At any rate, I e-mailed the director of admissions at MCW and they granted me a small extension through the end of the week. In conclusion, it seems like there is no set policy on either end.