How long do you have to be an intern before you know for sure it might not be the right specialty for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makethemostofit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in IM right now, mosty because I loved everything in medical school. I also really liked ob/gyn and anesthesia during medical school but decided that IM probably gave me the most flexibility.

Intern year has been great in that I finally have a job and it’s nice to get a paycheck. And to be honest, I really do love medicine a lot as a whole and feel very fortunate to be in medicine. I seriously can’t believe they pay me to do this.

HOWEVER- I think that mind-set wise I have more of an anesthesia/surgery style of thinking. You know- get to the point, cut the crap. I also like to see the results of what I do quickly. You might wonder why I didn’t think of this as an M4. Well, I did, but I got scared off because of lifestyle (ob/gyn) and cRNAs (anesthesia).

Thus far in intern year I have only gotten that experience once when catching a case of SBP, giving abx, and having the pt’s pain come down significantly afterward. Otherwise, I feel like medicine feels like a lot of throwing meds, doing things for theoretical reasons (don’t given Iron in the setting of infection), and not really knowing what intervention, if any worked. I initially thought GI might be a good fit, but seeing tons of functional disorders in clinic was not super fun. Also- not cool knowing that PAs are scoping now.

At the same time, I look at medscape surveys and GI routinely makes the top cut while ob/gyn loiters at the bottom. Which makes me wonder why ob/gyn is so competitive? I have the scores but I don’t think ob/gyn cares about scores based on the charting outcomes average.

I guess my question is- how long should I stick it out in IM? What is the safest option, to at least ensure I have a job during this pandemic while also exploring other options? I don’t want to bail out too soon but I also don’t want to miss out on a career that makes me feel most alive, in my element, and full of purpose (ob/gyn first, anesthesia second). Also, I do feel very fortunate to have a job in the pandemic and would hate to lose it because I tried switching specialties and failed. I also don’t have much accumulated savings if things went haywire. And while I have received positive feedback on rotations, I haven’t had a chance to really build a solid reputation yet. So idk what the PD would say.

Ideally, I would like to just switch specialties within the institution. Funding considerations aside, I thought that maybe I should proceed to pgy-2 year, get some money under my belt, test the waters of IM, build some sort of a reputation, and switch after 1 year of IM.

Any thoughts on what sort of game plan I should make that is safe, financially speaking, and also keeps my options opens? Any other perspectives on my situation are welcome. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

TBH I only skimmed your post but have two thoughts.

1st: The grass is always greener and I feel like you have no idea what you like. The good news is you’re in the best field for someone who isn’t sure what they like. Not many things in this world would make me feel less alive on the inside than being on the night float in labor and delivery btw.

2nd: Cardiology hits a LOT of points that you mentioned

Reactions: 2 users
If IM is 100% wrong for you then you shouldn't stick it out another year to make more money that makes no sense. You are just trading one year of your life for 60k vs being an attending one year sooner and making 300k that year.

Agree with HemeOnc above. If you like action than check out cards, or pulm/crit care. Plenty of action in those two subspecialities. Also you aren't going to make a lot of saves 1 month into intern year. If you are then your team is doing it wrong. I'd stay the course, I think when you get onto consults you will start feeling like you are making a big difference in people's lives.

Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like you know what you want, what makes you feel energized. Go for it regret sucks. Switching is not an issue people so it all the time.

If IM is 100% wrong for you then you shouldn't stick it out another year to make more money that makes no sense. You are just trading one year of your life for 60k vs being an attending one year sooner and making 300k that year.

Agree with HemeOnc above. If you like action than check out cards, or pulm/crit care. Plenty of action in those two subspecialities. Also you aren't going to make a lot of saves 1 month into intern year. If you are then your team is doing it wrong. I'd stay the course, I think when you get onto consults you will start feeling like you are making a big difference in people's lives.
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the financial aspect- I just want to have some money reserve in case things fall through and I don't any job at all.

Like procedures? Pulm with interventional pulm fellowship,, GI with advanced endoscopy fellowship, cards with interventional cards

Before you pull a trigger (unless you become certain you know what you want to do) see about getting a feel for the specialties people mentioned above, particularly critical care.