How long do you have to live in a state to get state preference for med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batman1983

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

.My Profile:
MCAT=34R, P=10, V=11, B=13
UC Berkeley
GPA=3.6
BCPM=3.5
Extracir= 1 yr volunteering at Hospital and with Sports Medicine Program, many jobs (had to support myself and family during college), fraternity, government organization, created tutoring company, lots of tutoring experience
Biggest Negative= Lack of research experience due to the fact that I had to work 30-40 hr weeks for jobs

I just received a job offer from an investment bank in NYC, and was thinking about taking it so that I could get instate preference for med schools in the New York/New Jersey area. Does anyone now how long you have to live in these areas to get state residency. Like probably many of you, I am a CA resident, and applied to 30+ schools for 2006/2007 cycle. Unfortunately, I have not received any interviews, and am thinking of taking this job offer, while reapplying for next year. Does the instate requirements vary per school, and if so, what are the usual requirements? Thanks for the help.

..-Frustrated Premed Applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Hate to break it to you, but NY and NJ are two different states.:laugh: :laugh:

I'm sure you want to be a NY resident, after all, who wants to be in Joisey.

Excerpt from SUNY(State University of NY) about NY resident

Requirement for NY residence.

"students are generally considered New York State residents if they have established their domicile in NY State for at least twelve months prior to the last day of the registration period of a particular term." <-- This is for the undergrad, but I'm sure it's not too different for other institutions.

Excerpt from DMV DMV

Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term "resident." The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NYS without a driver license or vehicle registration issued by NYS.

I'm just finding the bold highlight out for the first time. :eek: