How long does AMCAS take? Am I too late? HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatsamatta U

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I was somewhat paniced and couldn't get my PS done and...to make a long story short...I didn't get my act together to apply till now. I just sent in my transcripts late last week. I already feel bad that it took me this long. But how long will it take before AMCAS sends in my application? Am I doomed for applying so late or will I still have somewhat of the early-applicant edge, I mean I will apply before the August MCATers right?

HELP! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.TobiasFünke said:
I did EDP and was denied so i didn't get AMCAS out to some schools until early october

And you got in I'm assuming?

Whatsamatta U said:
OK, so I was somewhat paniced and couldn't get my PS done and...to make a long story short...I didn't get my act together to apply till now. I just sent in my transcripts late last week. I already feel bad that it took me this long. But how long will it take before AMCAS sends in my application? Am I doomed for applying so late or will I still have somewhat of the early-applicant edge, I mean I will apply before the August MCATers right?

HELP! :scared:

AMCAS is taking about 4-6 weeks to verify your application. And that time starts after they receive your transcripts and change your status to "ready to be reviewed." So, you are not behind....so don't worry.

-PG

photo_girl07 said:
AMCAS is taking about 4-6 weeks to verify your application. And that time starts after they receive your transcripts and change your status to "ready to be reviewed." So, you are not behind....so don't worry.

-PG

Does this mean that I'll have to wait till september some time before I can even send in my primary?

Whatsamatta U said:
Does this mean that I'll have to wait till september some time before I can even send in my primary?

I thought you said you sent in your primary already?

Once you hit "submit" on AMCAS, your application goes into the queue to be verified. It takes about 4-6 weeks (there's a thread about how long it's taking for people). So yes, it might take until Sept. to get verified. From there, you'll get secondaries, although some schools send secondaries pre-verification.

ADeadLois said:
I thought you said you sent in your primary already?

Once you hit "submit" on AMCAS, your application goes into the queue to be verified. It takes about 4-6 weeks (there's a thread about how long it's taking for people). So yes, it might take until Sept. to get verified. From there, you'll get secondaries, although some schools send secondaries pre-verification.

One caveat to that: your application goes into the queue after you've both submitted AND had your transcripts acknowledged via e-mail by AMCAS. Submit as soon as you can, and send out transcripts as soon as you can. Don't wait for one thing to happen before you take action on the other.

Why could they possibly need 4-6 weeks to verify your application if your transcripts have been recorded as "in"? Aren't they just a go between, what do they have to do? What is there to verify? Send the frickin applications

Whatsamatta U said:
Why could they possibly need 4-6 weeks to verify your application if your transcripts have been recorded as "in"? Aren't they just a go between, what do they have to do? What is there to verify? Send the frickin applications

It's just the way it is. There's no way around it. They need to double-check your transcript against the classes you inputed. They have thousands of applications to do.

I would suggest reading the AMCAS instructions for more information.