1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How long does it normally take to finish the Psychology upper div at the UC schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by the Undergrad, Apr 12, 2004.

1. the Undergrad

the Undergrad Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys

Well I was wondering how long it usually takes to complete the upper division courses for PSYCHOLOGY major at the UC schools, assuming the the GEs and the rest of the courses have been completed?

And I'm talking about ANY UC school...maybe you might know yourself or some of your friends who were Psychology majors?

Please help...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

I just looked in my UCI catalogue, and apparently, if you finish all of the lower division psych requirements and the University requirements, you only have to take 10 courses (40 units) of upper division Psych and social behavior classes. This is just for UCI, but I hope it helps.

4. the Undergrad

7+ Year Member

Thanks..well I'm at a junior college, so I'm wondering if its even POSSIBLE to complete 40 units or so (assuming other UCs have it around there as well) in one school year?

Thanks once again.

5. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

It is totally possible if you work hard and take three quarters of 3,3, and 4 classes of psych alone. That is also if EVERYTHING you have transfers and takes care of all of the university and lower division requirements.

6. the Undergrad

7+ Year Member

Thanks man!

Anyone else?

7. blueberry

blueberry Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not a psych major, but I know that at UC Berkeley, you can finish them in 4 semesters or possibly even less (with a normal load of other courses). It depends on how many other courses you have and if you're double majoring/minoring and such.

8. lizzylu

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was a former psych major at berkeley, and the requirements are strange. before 2 yrs ago it was easy to finish everything w/in 2-4 semesters (depending on how many psych classes you wanted to take). Then they changed the major and you have to take a certain # or classes in each psych sub-section (development, clinical, social, etc). That sucked, b/c I wasn't interested in taking classes in non-biological psych. Thus I switched my major to Neurobiology.

So if you're looking at Berkeley, you'll need to look into the specific class requirements.

9. TwoLegacies

TwoLegacies Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

here's how it is at UCSD:

1 year calculus
    1 quarter stats
    1 quarter computer science
    12 upper-division psych (quarter-long, that is). this has to include 5 out of the 6 "core"/intro classes, psych 101-106

so it's technically possible to finish within a year if you have already finished some of it... but you have to remember your priority for registration as well. some classes (like the "core" classes) tend to fill up very quickly because they're required. i wouldn't count on it, but it's possible.